Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentalgad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2014
I have the new m1 macbook air, and it's keyboard is amazing!

Is there an standalone keyboard that is equivalent to that?

I have an old apple keyboard and it's not even close to that, but maybe they have
new ones with the same filling?

Thanks.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The Magic Keyboard doesn't do it for you?

Nothing will feel totally identical due to the nature of the housing when the board is on a laptop, but the MKB is pretty close.

bentalgad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2014
Thanks @turbineseaplane, but i have the Magic keyboard and it doesn't compare :)

Although i have an old one (2013) so i don't know i there were any changes that
might be closer to the m1 air experience...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Haven't seen the M1 MacBook Air, but AFAIK it uses the same mechanism as the current bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard, which was updated within the past couple years. It is definitely not the same as your 2013 keyboard. I got a space grey Magic Keyboard with keypad for my 2018 Mini last summer and love it. Really has the best tactile feel and feedback of any Apple keyboard I've used and I'm a fast touch-typist.

Have always been a fan of the old wired Apple keyboards and was disappointed when they were discontinued. But the new Magic Keyboard felt just as good to me. After a couple days, dug out my old wired Apple keyboard and did an A/B test. I think the new Magic Keyboard is actually much nicer than the old wired keyboard.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks @turbineseaplane, but i have the Magic keyboard and it doesn't compare :)

Although i have an old one (2013) so i don't know i there were any changes that
might be closer to the m1 air experience...

The one you have is technically called the "Apple Wireless Keyboard"
The "Magic Keyboard" came out in 2015
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.19.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.20.28 AM.png

Definitely grab an MKB.
It's way way closer to the M1's keyboard than what you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.