Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hi,

First and foremost, I know about iTunes backup but that won't do it. This question is for someone who plans to only have an iPad and nothing else.

I'll migrate my personal data to the Files app and I have an external SSD drive on which I'd like to have a backup a la Time Machine. For the "usual" backup (contacts, calendar, so on and so forth), I'll use the good old iCloud as everyone (upgraded from the free plan to 50Go recently). But I'm talking about the content of my Files app and that is over 400Go of data.

What's my solution here using my external SSD? Thanks a lot.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You may want to check out FileBrowser and FileBrowser for Business in the App Store. Lots of good MR member posts about it.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks, but I read the description on the App Store and this is not what I'm looking for. I do not intend to replace the Files app. I want an equivalent of macOS Time Machine and there's no mention of this feature in the app's description.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks, but I read the description on the App Store and this is not what I'm looking for. I do not intend to replace the Files app. I want an equivalent of macOS Time Machine and there's no mention of this feature in the app's description.
FileBrowser for Business offers automated backups to an external device. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.

Reactions: Yoms

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
FileBrowser for Business offers automated backups to an external device. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.

Thanks again, I had checked the normal version, not the business one.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hi all and especially Namara,

Just wanted to update this thread as I stumbled on a DPReview.com article about an app that is dedicated to this backup task. It's a simple app that does the job (copy and sync) and nothing else. Pretty straightforward. Only caveat, it's limited to the photo library. It won't backup your whole iPad or the whole content of your Files.app

Here's the quick article in question:
OWC's new Copy That app makes it easy to backup photos from your iPhone, iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.