Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danaleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
greetings,

i want to use iPhoto to take the person out of a scenic picture. the photo was taken with a canon g2 and i hope to print it as a 16x20.

thanks! dana

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
greetings,

i want to use iPhoto to take the person out of a scenic picture. the photo was taken with a canon g2 and i hope to print it as a 16x20.

thanks! dana

i dont think u can in iPhoto. Photoshop will do it. Try downloading the demo and use the 'clone' tool.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Well, your success is going to have a lot to do with what the background is. The clone tool is great if you are removing someone standing in front of a painted wall or a lot of foliage.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's difficult to remove something like a person from a photo and make it look good, especially if you're going to print it as a 16x20.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Depending on the pic, you may just be able to crop it.

**Nevermind, saw it is a scenic pic, so I am pretty sure you will not want to crop.**

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Well, your success is going to have a lot to do with what the background is. The clone tool is great if you are removing someone standing in front of a painted wall or a lot of foliage.

If you're good at it, it shouldn't matter too much ;) :D

Case-sensitive

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
If it's the people rather than their surroundings you are interested in it might be easier (again in photoshop not iphoto) to cut the figures out and paste them into a new scene.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
You could use Gimp. It allows you to put one image on top of another and "erase to background", so when you erase something from the top layer you see what is on the bottom layer. So I imagine if you slightly offset the two images, and if the background is fairly regular, you could just wipe the person away.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
You could use Gimp. It allows you to put one image on top of another and "erase to background", so when you erase something from the top layer you see what is on the bottom layer. So I imagine if you slightly offset the two images, and if the background is fairly regular, you could just wipe the person away.
Now that sounds cool. :)

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I made this a while back, and yes that sky is the original.

When you clone, remember to do it on a seperate layer so that you can erase mistakes and redo areas.

Attachments

• empty.jpg
    empty.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 191
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 151

danaleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
the person i need cut

basically, i want to print and frame this photo three times and hang the framed prints side by side (one with the person and two without). i have no experience with photoshop or other image software, however, so if producing seamless results requires any amount of skill, perhaps i should consider shifting my plans for now. (the attached file is smaller than the one i'd use.)

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Thats actually a really easy one, you should have no problems using the clone tool with that. This took me less than 2 mins!

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 92

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

When you clone, remember to do it on a seperate layer so that you can erase mistakes and redo areas.

Honestly, can you just teach us how to do that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I actually have trouble with things like creating 2 layers and making use of them rather than what this involved. :eek:

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Good question. I don't have any first hand experience with the Akvis. Simply pointing out a potentially easier technique for people who may want an alternative.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC

Hey Mydriasis, can you maybe send me the original of that photo (if it's higher-res than the one you uploaded)? I'd like to take a crack at that. Specifically, I wonder if the perspective clone tool in CS2 has a "mirror line" mode. If not... it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.