Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mistyclaw101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I found an old Zoo Tycoon game and tried to download and play it on my MacBook Pro, but after it installed the app's picture was crossed out and attempting to open the game resulted in the error: "You can't open the application 'Zoo Tycoon' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I was wondering if there is anything I can do to play this game, or if I have to give up on it and buy a newer version (if there are any that mac still supports).

Reactions: TimothyR734

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I found an old Zoo Tycoon game and tried to download and play it on my MacBook Pro, but after it installed the app's picture was crossed out and attempting to open the game resulted in the error: "You can't open the application 'Zoo Tycoon' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I was wondering if there is anything I can do to play this game, or if I have to give up on it and buy a newer version (if there are any that mac still supports).
maybe it might be possible if you download something like virtual box and install a old macOS

Mistyclaw101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Is virtual box something you personally recommend? I mean, is it safe to download and have on my computer, or would I be risking downloading a virus? Because if that is the case, I think I would rather just looking for a newer Zoo Tycoon version.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I haven't tried it on my iMac yet but I don't believe it is a virus its a good company I used it when I had a windows pc with no issues but if I hear of a god version of Zoo Tycoon I will let you know
[doublepost=1537071702][/doublepost]One game you might enjoy in the App Store is Fishdom

Mistyclaw101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I tried to work it out, but I'm not the best with these types of programs. I tried to get a compatible version up and running but, unfortunately, had no luck getting anything to run. I'm probably missing something, but I guess I'll have to just find a newer version of Zoo Tycoon if I really want to play it again. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think if it is purely a PPC version it will not work on intel cpu even on an older os, it would need to be a universal binary which would work on PPC and Intel cpu’s. But I could be wrong.....:rolleyes:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

As you've discovered, you can't run apps that are written for PowerPC code on Intel Macs.

Well, actually you CAN run them -- but that's not easily accomplished.

You would first have install use an app that creates a "virtual machine", and then install a copy of "Snow Leopard Server" and run them that way. That's because older versions of the Mac OS had something called "Rosetta" that enabled them to run older PowerPC apps.

But Rosetta support ended with OS 10.6.8, I believe.

I see three options:
1. Install a virtual machine running Snow Leopard Server (again, quite a bit of work and more than you're willing to do)
2. Find a newer version of the game written for Intel Macs (may or may not be available)
3. Find another game.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Apparently this title can't run in emulation because it requires 3d Open GL graphics. You could find an older G4 as rpmurray suggested or what Fisherman had advised, barring the virtual machine option. There's no Intel version of this title that I can see..

Mistyclaw101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Hmm, well that's too bad, I guess. I don't really have the option (money-wise) of buying an older Mac model, and if it can't run in an emulator, I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions! Keeping older games to play years later is not exactly reasonable with how quickly these systems have changed haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.