Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njx58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
My daughter has a Macbook Air that is a couple of months old. I gave her an Ethernet cable and adapter for her dorm room, for use when the wifi is just too slow. The adapter is Apple-brand (or has the Apple logo, who knows who made it.) Anyway, she notices that the adapter gets really, really hot. My Google research tells me that this is a common issue.

Is there a better alternative to the Apple adapter? I don't mind spending a little more money. I've done some searching but I don't see an obvious answer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My daughter has a Macbook Air that is a couple of months old. I gave her an Ethernet cable and adapter for her dorm room, for use when the wifi is just too slow. The adapter is Apple-brand (or has the Apple logo, who knows who made it.) Anyway, she notices that the adapter gets really, really hot. My Google research tells me that this is a common issue.

Is there a better alternative to the Apple adapter? I don't mind spending a little more money. I've done some searching but I don't see an obvious answer.
Exactly which MacBook Air does she have, and exactly which Apple adapter does she have? The thunderbolt to ethernet adapter for the older MacBook Air gets warm, and that's totally normal.

njx58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
I can't recall the exact model -- I'd have to look it up later -- but we bought a brand-new MacBook Air at the Apple store in July. The adapter is the $29 Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet one sold on the Apple Web site.

z2000

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2019
Rotterdam
I used one with" A1433 EMC2590" Thunder to Ethernet. Daily use with a bit warm - but not hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_1520198_01.JPG
    IMG_20191114_1520198_01.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20191114_1520280_01.JPG
    IMG_20191114_1520280_01.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 157

njx58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Thanks, I'll make a note of that one. I am going to try one with a metal exterior. Perhaps that will help dissipate heat.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
As your research showed, this seems to be common. I used to use a Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter, and it would definitely get HOT, no matter what I was doing with the computer. I was sort of concerned at the time, but at some point I sold my old MB Air and stopped using it.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've used both the USB > Ethernet (for slower internet speeds) and the Thunderbolt > Ethernet (for faster), and I was not made aware of any heat issues on either. But then, I don't actually recall checking, either.

If it's a slower connection, you might want to try just going out and getting a simple, compact Wi-Fi router (like TP-Link's travel modem) and using that instead. I have found that I haven't gotten the 'advertised' speed of a faster service using Wi-Fi, but it's an option.

And if you go that route, remember to set up a password, so her entire dorm isn't using it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.