Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Recently had my DSL speed increased from 7 Mbps to 25 Mbps by my telephone provider. I have 3 Apple products connected to the internet: iPad Pro and Mac Mini by wifi and a Mac Pro 3.1 by ethernet. No problems until new higher speed line and modem/router installed. The iPad and Mac Mini with wifi work great with the new setup, but the Mac Pro with ethernet connection to the new router freezes requiring a hard reboot. The freeze sometimes occurs immediately on reboot and sometimes after 30 seconds to one minute after connecting to the internet. When unplugged from the ethernet connection, the Mac Pro runs fine. Here are the specs for the involved equipment:

Mac Pro 3.1, 6 GB with OS 10.6.8
New modem/router: ZyTEL VMG4825-B10A WiFi-N/AC VDSL2 4-port Bonding Combo WAN Gateway

Question: Does anyone know why the Mac Pro 3.1 and the new high speed router ethernet connection causes the Mac to freeze? I'm hoping for a simple, inexpensive fix for a 10 year old Mac whose life expectancy is getting shorter.

Anecdotal info: The telephone company installer left before I discovered the problem. My thinking that it would be a simple switch from 7 Mbps to 25 Mbps was blown away when it took the installer 4 hours to do the installation. After making a change in the connection at the substation a mile from my home, the installer had to change from a "one wire" service from the street pole and string a 2nd wire through the woods to a pole 150 away where it connects to a wire that travels below grade to my home. In my home a new network interface had to be installed. The lone installer spent 1/2 hour in my home and 3 1/2/hours outside in 1 degree F weather (I live in Vermont, USA) on a Saturday that was the start of a 3 day New Years holiday weekend. I hope his employer pays him well because all he got at my home was a face lick by my dog when he laid on the floor to plug in the router.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Problem solved! Solution: shut off iPv6 in Sys Pref>Network>Ethernet Connected>Advanced>iPv6 Off.

A very BIG THANK YOU to Kevin Anderson at Systems Plus Computers in Lebanon, NH, who graciously provided the email suggested fix for a product 10 years after the sale by Systems Plus where Kevin is a service tech. Try getting service like that from a big box store or internet retailer.

Reactions: G4fanboy and vworks

Alécio Costa

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Brazil
Hi! I tried this but uppload with this newer brand of modem goes down and it is fine at an Acer Notebook. I am scratching my head because everything was fine until 7 days ago with the older modem.

I changed the modem channel to 36, turned off bgn and was fine for 2,4. I reset to bgn and now locks again.
Any ideas?

I asked the tech to bring another modem of the very same brand of the previous modem .
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.