Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Ok;
Might as well see how cool the skies look due to this, so go ahead and show us here in the states how pretty the sky can turn.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iceland_volcano
LONDON – An enormous ash cloud from a remote Icelandic volcano caused the biggest flight disruption since 9/11 Thursday as it drifted over northern Europe and stranded travelers on six continents. Officials said it could take days for the skies to become safe again in one of aviation's most congested areas.
The cloud, floating miles above Earth and capable of knocking out jet engines, wrecked travel plans for tens of thousands of people, from tourists and business travelers to politicians and royals. They couldn't see the source of their frustration — except indirectly, when the ash created vibrant red and lavender sunsets.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Even here in Finland nothing exciting in terms of sunset / sunrise, I guess its too high in the atmosphere to make a big impact. They did close pretty much all airports though :)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Same here in the states after 9/11 it was quiet/silent until Saturday 9/15, nothing flying 4 solid days.
Strange feeling.

Thx for the flickr link also macrumormonger.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
It's fun to see on the airplane tracker, the airplane-free zone slowly moves south-east.

sweet site, I fwd it to people at work, thx very much.

I just got my 27" iMac delivered this morning 11:50 EDT, and they had this warning on the tracking page:
A volcano eruption in Iceland has delayed FedEx Express shipments to and from Northern Europe
Link then gives this
Service Update Volcano in Europe

Service Update

A volcano eruption in Iceland has filled the skies over Northern Europe with significant amounts of ash. Due to this ash the airspace over many European countries has been closed. FedEx Express shipments to and from this area have been delayed. The situation remains very fluid and we are closely monitoring the airports. FedEx will resume flight operations as soon as possible. Additional information will be posted on fedex.com as it becomes available.

Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, the FedEx Money-Back Guarantee does not apply to FedEx Express shipments affected by events of this nature that are beyond the control of FedEx.

Continue to check the status of your shipments on fedex.com or contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
well there was some tonight

My take from tonight, nice display,i hope these do justice to the experiences...

Attachments

• _DSC7453.jpg
    _DSC7453.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 95
  • _DSC7459.jpg
    _DSC7459.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 105
  • _DSC7468.jpg
    _DSC7468.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 77
  • _DSC7462.jpg
    _DSC7462.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.