Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eventailapp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Hello,

I wanted to learn iOS development and for my first app I've decided to make a calendar widget that is a bit different from the others I have seen. It displays 3 to 5 upcoming days in a compact manner. Tapping on a day shows a detailed view.

It costs two bucks and can be downloaded here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eventail/id959674103?ls=1&mt=8&at=1010laN9

Homepage of the project is here: http://eventailapp.com

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572-2.jpeg

For the curious, the whole application is written in Swift. The purpose of the application is viewing the calendar only, you can use it in conjunction with your favorite calendar app.

The applications uses iOS calendars so there are no passwords or logins required.

Feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Hi!
The questions I had about what someone gets are basically about source code and/or API.

In other words if a person wanted this to be a general calendaring widget to be used by many people in an office, would it work or is it just a single user version.

I ask because I've never bought a widget before. I've seen a lot of sample code and stuff on GitHub, and you get the whole project and you can modify it to your needs.

eventailapp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
I ask because I've never bought a widget before. I've seen a lot of sample code and stuff on GitHub, and you get the whole project and you can modify it to your needs.

The widget is sold as a standard iOS application, it is a close-sourced app thus I offer no source code. I've tried to make the application as simple as possible, but the future update will contain more options. For use in office I believe that is entirely possible, the widget taps into the iOS calendar API so it basically means that whatever you can see in the stock Calendar App you can see in Eventail.

That looks good. I see you've got a compact font, which makes sense, but why all caps on the week view?

Initially I did not want to have any options in the application that were not crucial for the function. Personally I think that all caps are more readable in small size (but this is not actually universally true) Later, after some reflection, I've realised that some settings are necessary. The whole application can be configured once and for all very quickly anyways. So in the upcoming 1.1 version I offer to use a system font for those who want it and also made the all caps mode optional.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
The widget is sold as a standard iOS application, it is a close-sourced app thus I offer no source code. I've tried to make the application as simple as possible, but the future update will contain more options. For use in office I believe that is entirely possible, the widget taps into the iOS calendar API so it basically means that whatever you can see in the stock Calendar App you can see in Eventail.

Initially I did not want to have any options in the application that were not crucial for the function. Personally I think that all caps are more readable in small size (but this is not actually universally true) Later, after some reflection, I've realised that some settings are necessary. The whole application can be configured once and for all very quickly anyways. So in the upcoming 1.1 version I offer to use a system font for those who want it and also made the all caps mode optional.
Ok, I was thinking of something a programmer would use in their app. I had something different in mind. I saw places where programmers can buy things that they use in their apps, I wasn't thinking of a stand alone widget for end users.

eventailapp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Ok, I was thinking of something a programmer would use in their app. I had something different in mind. I saw places where programmers can buy things that they use in their apps, I wasn't thinking of a stand alone widget for end users.

I see. Come to think about it it would not be very hard to transform it into a UIView class that would render the widget. However I doubt that it would be very useful in many cases. But if somebody would be interested in integrating this into their application it is always something I can consider case by case :)

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I see. Come to think about it it would not be very hard to transform it into a UIView class that would render the widget. However I doubt that it would be very useful in many cases. But if somebody would be interested in integrating this into their application it is always something I can consider case by case :)
I think I got the idea because I saw you posted in the programming section and I saw your tagline and I assumed it was a programming thing because I say the 'Widget' part and was thinking programming widget. Ok, my misunderstanding :D

eventailapp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Major 1.1 Update

Changelog

Download the new version on the App Store

The new version brings several important updates
- Ability to hide days without events
- The event colours now follow those in the Apple Calendar App
- When a day is in a new month, an indicator is displayed
- Past events are displayed dimmed and can be optionally hidden
- Chinese translation
- Choice between two fonts and three sizes
- Uppercase is now optional

And finally an obligatory screenshot:

iphone6-big.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.