Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
http://galloimages.zenfolio.com/p430645100/?photo=649738193

I have never heard of them until I saw this little fella feeding on my butterfly bush then I see another one on a hike yesterday and snapped the image above. I was lucky as these things are very fast.. thanks to the 40D high frames/sec rate and some luck!

Note the curled up proboscis.. I have other cool pics on it in my Hummingbird clearwing moth gallery on my website!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
:eek: It looks like a flying shrimp, very cool! Thanks for sharing, great photos, 2 and 3 are my favorites.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I've seen a good few of those at some point, I thought they were pretty fantastic. I can't remember where... I have half a feeling that it may have been in Europe at some point, I wonder what their distribution is?

Good to see a photo!

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
:eek: It looks like a flying shrimp, very cool! Thanks for sharing, great photos, 2 and 3 are my favorites.

Thats exactly how I described it when I posted it to my Flickr link!.. a flying shrimp... indeed.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Thanks for the photo. My wife and I saw one a few weeks ago (western Canada) and wondered what it was. I didn't have a chance to run inside for a camera before it was gone.

Greg

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I was curious so did a google and found a this site with additional photos.

They are reported to live in the "eastern half of the U.S. and Canada"... so why haven't I ever seen one?

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks for all the comments folks... did I tell you I saw this initial one on Friday last week then the next day, I saw one on a nature hike? The fourth pic in the Hummingbird clearwing moth gallery is a pic from that one, with the curled up proboscis... so I never saw one in my 53 years (that I recognized) and then I see TWO in two days.... just plain lucky..

Mark

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
http://galloimages.zenfolio.com/p430645100/?photo=649738193

I have never heard of them until I saw this little fella feeding on my butterfly bush then I see another one on a hike yesterday and snapped the image above. I was lucky as these things are very fast.. thanks to the 40D high frames/sec rate and some luck!

Note the curled up proboscis.. I have other cool pics on it in my Hummingbird clearwing moth gallery on my website!

You must live in FL, I have seen these here in Citrus County

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.