Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
MY HARDWARE

Apple iMac -- Core i5 @ 2.9 GHz, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, soon to be upgraded to 10.12 Sierra; DSL internet connection, Evernote app, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, etc.

Lenovo-Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone, Android 6, Google Drive, Gmail and Microsoft Office installed.

I've been a Macintosh user since 1986. I run a home-based office for a family construction business. We've done remarkable things with MacOS computers since 1989, when I brought the first Macintosh SE into our office. The proliferation of smartphones and voice-recognition technology has been both empowering and a new avenue of revenue drain for us. (We look at it that way because we are in a rural, hilly area where cellular coverage is spotty and cellular costs are therefore questionable while on-the-road.)

I have downloaded the Evernote app to my computer and my smartphone, but I have not used it.

I have no option available to acquire an Evernote paid subscription through work. There is no support. For now, I just want to see what I can do with the free account and figure out what my personal needs and budget are from there.

I already have a few questions, and I haven't even had a chance to use Evernote?

1: Can I use my smartphone to dictate notes with my voice while on the move?

2: Does anyone use Evernote for things like to-do lists, shopping lists, and project checklists? If so, how do you set them up? How do you check off items when they are acquired/completed?

3: Does the free version of Evernote offer a way to use a smartphone to take a photo of handwritten notes from a meeting/discussion and take the image to automatically transcribe the notes into editable/searchable text on a computer? How well does this work?

4: I take it that if I am on-the-road and in a place where the cellular signal is cut off, I am cut off from Evernote. Correct?

One problem I've found with the visual tutorials on Evernote's web-site (and the text information there as well) is that Evernote, Inc. doesn't always make clear which features covered require which tier of membership. (Do you have to pay for that feature? If so, how much?)

I've heard repeatedly that Evernote is the best note-taking and note-management software out there. I am dubious, however, about the viability of cloud-based services. I'd like to hear from folks what they think of Evernote, as well as alternatives.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You might want to got their website and check out the "Help and Learning" section of the site. There is a ton of tutorials and how to's.

Which features are you specifically looking for when it comes to what is covered under what membership tier?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I am currently looking to learn which features are available in the "free" version, and how to use them.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I am currently looking to learn which features are available in the "free" version, ....
I googled evernote tiers, and this was the first result:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Which-Evernote-product-is-right-for-me-

That page seems to describe what features are in what tiers, and the key features in each paid tier (heading "Comparisons of key features in paid subscriptions").

The same page comes up as the first result when you enter evernote tiers as the search terms on Evernote's help site. The 2nd result is a FAQ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.