Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalutBarbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
Hello,

The new Macbook Pro model is rumoured to be announced on June 13 at the WWDC keynote address.

I have an one-way international flight (Australia > UK) on the evening of June 14 and would love to grab a new Macbook Pro before I go to the airport (so I can claim my tax back ;)).

In the past, have new Mac models been immediately available to purchase? Or is it likely that I will only be able to buy the new model after my flight?

Thanks,
Jack

SalutBarbu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
Haha yeah I guess I do.

I want to know if Apple's history of product announcements suggests an immediate or delayed release for the new MBP. It won't matter much anyway, I'll still buy it... I might just have to pay full-price!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It suggests immediate availability, but you could be pointed in the direction of a fair few exceptions to that rule, you could also be pointed at the, massive assumption that there are going to be major hardware updates announced at a software developers conference, yes the occasional product has been announced at wwdc but it's not the norm and there were none last year.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Assuming a new model is announced on June 13, it is possible it will be in the Apple Stores the next day. I bought a new MacBook Air a couple years ago and it hit the local Apple Store the next afternoon after the announcement.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's possible it'll be in the stores, your chances of getting your hands on an available unit (ESPECIALLY in NYC) are relatively slim.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I was thinking they'd be available immediately, but after seeing the Apple Beats education deal start I have a feeling they may show them for a September release. Also have a feeling Beats will be magically updated around that time too!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I was thinking they'd be available immediately, but after seeing the Apple Beats education deal start I have a feeling they may show them for a September release. Also have a feeling Beats will be magically updated around that time too!
I can't picture Apple announcing a Mac for a future release. If they were to announce a new one on June 13, but say not shipping till September, who would buy a Mac before September"

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I can't picture Apple announcing a Mac for a future release. If they were to announce a new one on June 13, but say not shipping till September, who would buy a Mac before September"

It has happened before. The Mac Pro was one example of a long delay between announcement and availability. To a lesser extent the retina MacBook also was delayed a bit.

I could see it happening this year, but hope the delay is not more than a week or so, it at all.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011

I recall reading that the education deal is timed to sell off the old stock, before the new models arrive, so it's unlikely the new MBP's will be held back to be available for the deal.

In desperate need of a new MBP, so hope they're available straight away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's really no way to tell, at times, it was available x weeks after an announcement, other times it was immediately. Given that WWDC is right around the corner, just sit tight :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.