Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Hello Apple users

Since most Mac users here have multiple devices that perform many functions in various places, what methods do you use to save, exchange and sync files during your busy day?

Please state the method, OSXs and Apple product you are using to exchange files.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
agree drop box is one of easiest options.
I just have a free account as do not have many files to share.

I also have a time machine drive for both my macs which I can lift other files if needed.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Dropbox (free) used to be my favourite**, but lately I find myself using it less and less, having migrated to iCloud drive.

I started using iCloud for my (now ±100 GB) Photos library, and backup for my iOS devices, and then - bit by bit (pun intended) - started using the iCloud drive for files (started with app specific, like Numbers and Pages files, but now I sync my Desktop and Documents folder, too). Already paying (now the second tier) for iCloud, because of the Photos library, made it easier to start using it for other stuff, too.

iCloud drive still isn't quite as good and reliable as Dropbox on the "generic" file syncing in the Documents folder, but they are catching up. Right now my Dropbox folder resides inside the Documents folder, so I have redundancy cloud sync

I also have a free 50 GB box.com account somewhere, but never found any real use for that (being quite a hassle to use), so it's just waisting away...

** Actually, I used to like SugarSync better, but they dropped the ball several years ago.

Reactions: old-wiz

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I do it the old-fashioned way (but then again, I'm an old guy):

A USB flashdrive and a pair of sneakers.

But, hey! This works EVERY time...

Reactions: Audit13

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I use iCloud to sync my desktop, downloads, and documents folders. This allows me to access my files from my work or personal MacBooks keeping me from having to have both. My personal laptop is on High Sierra while my work MacBook is on Sierra.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
thanks for the feedback, i was surprised by the amount of replies so far

the reason why i posted this was i need a new way to individually export over 1,000 PSD images (only 2.1 GB) from my iPad, to mini to MBA (using el capitan) without any outside cloud sources.
airdrop is not reliable, but works!
sneakernet does seems safer that skynet.
[doublepost=1534174006][/doublepost]i have a dropbox account i share with a real estate company i freelance for, never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.