Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Whats the best one? I miss being able to see the exif in the bottom of the file like I could do in windows.....

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
EXIF Viewer and PhotoInfo both work good, but I just use Preview because it is my default viewer and is always handy. Try it out and see if it works for you. If Previews Inspector is not in the tool bar and I don't think it is, go to View > Customize Tool Bar and drag the Inspector icon up to the tool bar..

If you ever have a need to Annotate Photos you may want to add the Annotate button to the tool bar while you are adding the Inspector button.. For some reason you can't annotate a photo from the Tool menu, only annotate PDF's from the menu.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I know "best" is probably quite subjective. What I really want it for is Photomatix. So when I'm looking for three or four raw's in a file I can easily identify the different exposures.

Vista was great in that you could get info for a particular file on the bottom of the folder and easily see the exif info......Of course that's all vista was good for.....

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
EXIF info in Finder -yes!

You can see some EXIF info right in OS X's Finder. Select the file you want the info on, and click File>Get Info from the Finder's menu. Expand the "More Info" triangle in the info window that opens to see the dimensions, device make and model, colorspace, profile, focal length, alpha channel, red eye, f-number and exposure time - those last two bits were what you were looking for, right?

The shortcut for displaying the info is command-I, but if you press option-command-I, you get an interactive Info window, i.e., an Inspector, the window stays open and changes to reflect the content of each file you select.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Spotlight indexes this info, so it can't be searched in the Finder, but it is visible! Vista... shudder... does something better than OS X? NOT!!!

dmz

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Vista... shudder... does something better than OS X? NOT!!!

dmz

Its true!
Look.... This information bar is on the bottom of every windows file, its very convenient.I wish mac had this. Just select the file and easily see the info....and you can customize it.

capturee.jpg

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
Same Sh*t, different shovel

Ya, ya, ya. That's the SAME info you see in the Mac OS X Finder's Get Info window, but it's not, as far as I know, customizable. One point to Vista. Damn!

dmz

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Spotlight indexes this info, so it can't be searched in the Finder, but it is visible! Vista... shudder... does something better than OS X? NOT!!!

dmz

Finder->File->New Smart Folder
Hit the plus sign
Change "Kind" to "Other"
Pick the property you want, such as "Focal length" and check the checkbox if you want it to show up in the Kind menu in the future.
Pick an operator such as "Equals"
Type in a value, such as 400 or 400mm

Save the smart folder if you want to.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
[QUTE=dmz;7284317]Ya, ya, ya. That's the SAME info you see in the Mac OS X Finder's Get Info window, but it's not, as far as I know, customizable. One point to Vista. Damn!

dmz[/QUOTE]

No its not. On a Mac you need to select the individual file and go to "get info" You can do that on windows as well with properties but on Vista's new file system, you can see the individual files properties on the bottom of the open OS file.

So with Vista if I opened "My pictures" and highlight a file I can see the properties on the bottom of the my pictures file. That's convenient.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
dmz[/QUOTE]

No its not. On a Mac you need to select the individual file and go to "get info" You can do that on windows as well with properties but on Vista's new file system, you can see the individual files properties on the bottom of the open OS file.

So with Vista if I opened "My pictures" and highlight a file I can see the properties on the bottom of the my pictures file. That's convenient.[/QUOTE]

On A Mac just drag the complete folder you want to see the EXIF on and drop on Preview in the Dock and click the Inspector button, Then i will be like Vista in that all the info will be shown as you click each photo. You can put the Inspector anywhere you want, above, below or on either side of the photo..

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I just need to relearn. I swear if windows does something one way, mac is the complete opposite.

Windows=toolbar bar on the bottom
Mac=bar on the top

Windows=delete key deletes whats ahead of the cursor.
Mac=deletes whats behind.

I could go on and on. Its just like Canon/Nikon. Same results, opposite controls.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Hm, that does seem useful. Must be Microsoft Navajo, not Vista.

Its true!
Look.... This information bar is on the bottom of every windows file, its very convenient.I wish mac had this. Just select the file and easily see the info....and you can customize it.

capturee.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.