Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcerro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Solihull
Hi guys,

I'm existing IUP customer who I enrolled last year with my iPhone 7 plus. I already pay the 12 months, my cycle started 8th November 2016, therefore I was able to pre-order the iPhone X last Friday without pay anything. I was ready from 08:01 (UK time) to do the pre-order but the apple store application was down at least until 08:06. I completed by pre-order at 08:07 to pick up in store (in UK you don't have any other option, just pick up in store) and I was given next 18th November to pickup the iPhone, that means, if I don't get early I will have to pay an additional month - £46 (13 months in total) just for a few days. I called this morning to Apple support to complain, basically because I understand is not my fault low stock of iPhone X or the apple store was down until 08:06 for iPhone upgrade program customers. After been talking with different people in apple support spending almost 1 hour I didn't get any compensation or solution to avoid to pay the extra month, I consider this is not fair for exiting IUP users.

Well, my question is, Is anyone in same situation? Someone already complain about this? .. I understand there will people in worst situation than me, that means, enrolled in IUP program in September and therefore with obligation to pay 2 or 3 additional months etc.. but I wonder to know your feedback. I'm thinking call to Trading Standards UK to get an advice but any suggestions feedback it will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
The word is they will automatically refund you a payment.

That being said, you guys need to read the TOS for stuff you sign. They don't guarantee you a new phone every 12 months, only every year, which can be up to 24 months minus 1 day actually.

rcerro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Solihull
Thanks for your quick answer .. how do you know it will be automatically refunded? I mean, Do you know people/customer with similar situation where it was refunded? ..

In regards the TOS, I know mate about 1 year it could be up to 23 months etc.. in fact, Apple can say I can upgrade to iPhone 8 immediately, but all of that would be very tricky for a company as Apple, I know they look after customers, I have been apple products (almost of of them) for more than 12 years and I've never complain, opposite very happy with Apple customer service, for that reason I was surprised this morning when they denied any solution and just point me to the TOS etc..

Thanks again

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I don't know from experience unfortunately, but best i can do:

“I double checked and you would actually get a refund from Citizens One for the extra months since there is a lead time on the iPhone X,” a customer support rep told a Reddit user.

rcerro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Solihull
I don't know from experience unfortunately, but best i can do:

“I double checked and you would actually get a refund from Citizens One for the extra months since there is a lead time on the iPhone X,” a customer support rep told a Reddit user.
Umm .. is Citizens One the loan company in the US? In the UK the loan company is with Barclays, I don't think Barclays will refund any extra month :-(.

Cheers

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm existing IUP customer who I enrolled last year with my iPhone 7 plus. I already pay the 12 months, my cycle started 8th November 2016, therefore I was able to pre-order the iPhone X last Friday without pay anything. I was ready from 08:01 (UK time) to do the pre-order but the apple store application was down at least until 08:06. I completed by pre-order at 08:07 to pick up in store (in UK you don't have any other option, just pick up in store) and I was given next 18th November to pickup the iPhone, that means, if I don't get early I will have to pay an additional month - £46 (13 months in total) just for a few days. I called this morning to Apple support to complain, basically because I understand is not my fault low stock of iPhone X or the apple store was down until 08:06 for iPhone upgrade program customers. After been talking with different people in apple support spending almost 1 hour I didn't get any compensation or solution to avoid to pay the extra month, I consider this is not fair for exiting IUP users.

Well, my question is, Is anyone in same situation? Someone already complain about this? .. I understand there will people in worst situation than me, that means, enrolled in IUP program in September and therefore with obligation to pay 2 or 3 additional months etc.. but I wonder to know your feedback. I'm thinking call to Trading Standards UK to get an advice but any suggestions feedback it will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I am in the US. From experience, they refund you unused days so it is not a full refund.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Umm .. is Citizens One the loan company in the US? In the UK the loan company is with Barclays, I don't think Barclays will refund any extra month :-(.

Cheers

You're on your own for that my European friend. Call Barclays.

thomasclark87

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
I’m interested to know if Barclays will refund the payment as I will be paying an installment on my 7 plus on the 2nd November but upgrading - and paying £69 upfront - for the X on the 3rd! So I’ll be paying £45 for a day’s use on my existing phone!

I might sell my 7, pay off my existing contract and start a new one... I’d be £100 better off!

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
I was told the same (By Apple, I'm the US), but have yet to receive a refund for my 13th payment and it's been over a month now. Went from the iPhone 7 to iPhone 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.