Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I'm a relative newbie with Photoshop. This evening I was trying make a color/black & white photo. When I selected the flower with the magentic lasso... I wanted to expand the outline in some areas but was unsuccessful in finding a way to do that. Can anyone tell me the tool and/or keyboard command that would allow me to ammend the selection? Helpful advice always greatly appreciated :eek:

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'd use the polygonal lasso tool over the magnetic one, but you can expand the selection area by holding down shift and selecting what you want to add to it. You can also decrease the selection area by holding down the option key.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Doesn't that expand the entire selection? I am only trying to expand it at certain points so there is a clean line between the B&W and the color. I don't want the background color connected the object.

Yeah, I'd switch to Quick Mask.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
several options, the two i like are:

press q to go to quick mask, grab a brush and paint with white to add to the selection, black to subtract

or

grab the lasso tool and hold the shift key to add to the selection, option key to subtract

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.