Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Well? They're about 1/8 the cost of the Nikon variety... anyone have any experience using aftermarket batteries in a D200 as backup?

Thanks

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've found that the aftermarket batteries are the same if not BETTER than the OEM. There is a place that sells nothing but batteries (discussed in the forums a while back) and they have phenomenal prices.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I've found that the aftermarket batteries are the same if not BETTER than the OEM. There is a place that sells nothing but batteries (discussed in the forums a while back) and they have phenomenal prices.

Thanks, buddy- I tried searching, but couldn't come up with anything. If anyone else remembers the website, I'd appreciate a link.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

I take it you would highly recommend using 3rd party batteries--even if price weren't an issue (actually it is, but just go hypothetical for a moment)?

I'd like to open the same question up to anyone else who has experience with retail/OEM/Nikon batteries vs. 3rd party.

Thanks!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've seen no performance increases from using a battery from the OEM. Battery technology isn't quite that complicated -- it just works if it works.

Umm....you named your hard drives? :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well? They're about 1/8 the cost of the Nikon variety... anyone have any experience using aftermarket batteries in a D200 as backup?

Thanks

The Nikon batteries are chipped, and there have been a fairly good number of reports of damage with third party "cheap" batteries. Digital cameras are rather sensitive to voltage issues (look at the flash sync voltage issues as an example) and the manufacturer's part tolerance is probably pretty strict and I doubt they put protection in because their own parts are compliant. It's my understanding that their use voids the warranty as well. I wouldn't risk it if it were my camera.

Here's Nikon's take:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The Nikon batteries are chipped, and there have been a fairly good number of reports of damage with third party "cheap" batteries. Digital cameras are rather sensitive to voltage issues (look at the flash sync voltage issues as an example) and the manufacturer's part tolerance is probably pretty strict and I doubt they put protection in because their own parts are compliant. It's my understanding that their use voids the warranty as well. I wouldn't risk it if it were my camera.

Here's Nikon's take:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
This is correct, however I have first hand use and damage caused by going the so-called cheaper route. Needing an extra three batteries I bought three 3rd party that guaranteed they would work. They did. They charged and powered the camera. They also fried something that prevented me from being able to use my LCD screen. It looked like I dropped the camera. Nikon repair said it was the battery. They could have been full of ****, but frankly the only thing I did was use those batteries and it happened the first time I put the battery in after shooting about 50 photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.