Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I thought it’d be fun to share some details of my transition to the iPad Air 2022 as my everyday personal computer. This is my third iPad, and previously I had an iPad Air 2 from 2015.

I’ll update this with other points as I get them.
  1. Touch ID/power. So, I have to touch the power button to authorise using my iPad. But if I then PRESS that button… The iPad turns off. This is insane. Who thought that was a good idea? Effectively, to unlock and start using the iPad, I have to (a) touch the power button and then (b) swipe up on the screen. Why have they made a basic action we do 100x every day into a two-step procedure? Who signed that off?
    1. [Edit: See trick below–it’s not ideal but it’s better]
  2. Battery life.The iPad Air 2 just lasted essentially forever between charges. The iPad Air 2022 is much more like a laptop. It’s mid-afternoon now and I’m at 54% from a 100% charge this morning. And I haven’t been using it all day. Maybe 2-3 hours in total. Charging time for the iPad 2022 isn’t fast either using the supplied charger+USB C cable – I haven’t timed it but it must be 4-5 hours for a full charge, at least. I expected iPhone-like charging times.
    1. [Edit: Battery drain is partially because I’m using a Logi Combo case. The same happens with the official Apple Magic Keyboard, apparently. This sucks. But I do believe the battery drain on the new iPad Air 2022 is more rapid than my old iPad Air 2, probably because it‘s simply got a more powerful processor. I do use the iPad intensively, but I’m getting around six hours at the moment until I’m down to a very low charge.]
  3. iPadOS: Holy moly, iPadOS is buggy. Example: Just now I was pasting in an email address, and for some reason it kept cutting off parts of the end of the address when I hit enter. The solution was to type a comma after the address. At the moment I’m encountering maybe 1-2 usability bugs every day. It reminds me a lot of trying to use Linux back in the day, except at least with Linux you could try and fix things yourself.
  4. iPad apps. I guess I’d never really used iPad apps for things like Amazon and eBay but, wow, they’re not great quality. They work. But they look shoddy. Buttons stretched across the entire width of the screen, for example, because somebody hasn’t properly optimised for the iPad display. The Amazon app right now has a nasty bug that means pointer control doesn’t work for the bottom navbar. LinkedIn is another offender, and even the supposedly good Apollo app for Reddit just looks like a stretched iPhone with a really poor quality layout on the iPad screen. I think it’s probably better just to use the websites, as I would on a laptop.
  5. Performance. Just great. I mean, this is what I’d be expecting from a MacBook except there’s not even the potential for pinwheeling. Notably, although people have rightly been pointing out the 8GB of RAM in the new iPad Air 2022, it’s actually 7.45GB when the screen memory is deducted. No big deal, I guess, but worth knowing.
  6. Camera. Still got the oil-painting effect if you zoom in, just like the iPhone 13! I guess this is now to be found wherever Apple’s machine learning tech is in use. Shame. But I won’t be using the camera much, if at all.
  7. Multitasking/PIP. Still getting used to multitasking. I’ve been playing around with slide over, which arguably seems the most useful. You can turn a website into a mobile phone viewport, for example. It’s disappointing that picture-in-picture isn’t supported in the Files app—it means you have to buy an app if you want to play MP4s picture-in-picture from a NAS. PIP is also a big buggy in that sometimes the video window gets stuck in the middle of the screen, rather than reverting to a corner. This appears to be related to the assumption the hardware keyboard is on-screen.
    1. Edit: I finally found a decent PIP media player that’s free, in the form of Infuse.]
  8. Trackpad/pointer: Got to remember that this has been retrofitted to iOS, essentially, and remains a minority sport for enthusiasts. It crashes (e.g. pointer disappears and can only be fixed be restart the iPad). There are bugs. There are stupid usability issues. For example, some apps register the pinch/expand gesture on the trackpad as selection/clicking on something (e.g. the App Store). So, the app will often accidentally register the two-finger scroll gesture as clicking/selecting something, which is astonishingly frustrating.
    1. Right-clicking: There’s an option in Settings to turn this on but apart from Safari, it’s not a thing within apps. And what’s replaced it is a PITA because sometimes you have to click and hold to get the context menu, while other times you have to swipe left or right to get these options. Sometimes none of this works and although a context menu will appear if you’re tapping on the screen with fingers, there doesn’t appear to be a way to make it work for pointer/trackpad use.
  9. Keyboard. Often text entry just doesn’t work 100% logically. A couple of things have caught me out so far. One was typing in the text field within an app. I switched to a different app, and when I switched back, the app assumed I’d given up typing so had cleared the field. Similarly, if I’m typing in text fields then the app isn’t always clever enough to scroll automatically to show the cursor and what I’m typing. Sometimes I end up typing “below the line” of the text field, so have to manually scroll it. This is no-doubt because an on-screen keyboard is assumed. No selecting and then dragging to move text either. There’s a handful of capitalisation issues too—if I click to start tying within an existing sentence, the iPad will assume I want a capital letter. Basically, text entry from a keyboard is just not as mature as it is on a Mac. Hopefully this will be fixed in future updates of iPadOS
  10. Short USB C lead. Why? It’s almost useless if you’re plugged into the wall. I’m relatively new to the world of USB C so don’t have any spare leads I can swap-in. I’ll have to buy one. I’d like a stand but not many of those work with cases in my experience.
    1. [Edit: Getting the right replacement lead is tricky because the usual USB A 15 watt/3 amp cables aren’t going to charge as quickly as they might. The only option is USB C to USB C — see my notes below about USB C voltages and chargers.]
  11. Screen. This might be the first Apple hardware I’ve ever had (since 2003!) for which I haven’t got issues with the screen. Out of the box it’s been great. Say what you like about OLED vs Mini LED vs IPS LCD, but IPS LCD is very mature. With this iPad, there’s no weird tints on white backgrounds. There’s no inconsistent backlighting. I do have to turn the brightness up quite a bit when watching movies full screen, especially if there are dark scenes, but this is how it is on all Apple hardware and has something to do with how they manage the gamma on video playback.
    1. Size: I wish it was an inch bigger. It seems Apple’s taken the decision to make all their range either compact or large/pro. Most of us want medium.
    2. Websites: Nobody mentions this but the iPad Air 2022’s effective resolution is a notch smaller than most desktop websites expect (I’m talking about the 2x pixel-doubling viewport resolution, not native retina). This means the sites use responsive design to chop off some features. A good example is the YouTube website, where the date alongside the view count is chopped off. On The Guardian website, you only see a truncated weather box. You’d an get around this by zooming out (Cmd+minus on a keyboard) but this zooms out to 85% — a bit too much. I hope Apple fixes this and lets us zoom out perhaps in 5% increments.
    3. [Edit: Definitely turn off True Tone. I wish there was a way to adjust True Tone so it is more subtle. For example, right now if switched on (morning in my living room with natural lighting) it wants to turn the white web page yellow. This is just too much. About 50% of that would be pretty good.
General update: Switching to the iPad Air 2022 as my main computer is going okay. For my day job as a journalist/content creator, I’m still using a Mac. I can’t really imagine doing that job on the iPad … but I could if I absolutely had to (e.g. all Macs were wiped out by some weird virus). But for leisure and my own little bits of work here and there, the iPad is good. iPadOS has a long way to go, though. For me, it feels good to jump in at this stage when it’s just starting to mature. I felt the same about OS X back in the day – my first experience of it was 10.4, when they introduced things like Spotlight. That felt like I was getting in at the ground floor… and sure enough OS X/macOS would eventually mature into perhaps one of the best operating systems/environments the world’s ever seen. And I think that’s a key thing moving forward. Forget about operating systems. Think more operating environments. I now operate my life within iOS as an environment – on my phone, and on my iPad. I think with AR/VR, this is going to become a key distinction. But lets wait to see what WWDC reveals!

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I thought it’d be fun to share some details of my transition to the iPad Air 2022 as my everyday work computer. This is my third iPad, and previously I had an iPad Air 2 from 2015.

I’ll update this with other points as I get them.
  1. Battery life. The iPad Air 2 just lasted essentially forever between charges. The iPad Air 2022 is much more like a laptop. It’s mid-afternoon now and I’m at 54% from a 100% charge this morning. And I haven’t been using it all day. Maybe 2-3 hours in total. Part of this might be down to the Logi Combo keyboard case I use? Charging time for the iPad 2022 isn’t fast either – I haven’t timed it but it must be 4-5 hours for a full charge, at least. I expected iPhone-like charging times.

Yes, I expect the external keyboard is adding to the battery drain. I get more than the advertised 10 hours in tablet mode (mostly reading at low brightness).

As for charging time, are you using the 20W charger that shipped with the iPad Air 5? Because that normally gets me to 80% within 1-2 hours, iirc. If you’re still using a 10-12W charger, then it’s going to be slow.

Reactions: snipr125

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, I expect the external keyboard is adding to the battery drain.

Wow googling this has uncovered a treasure trove of complaints. Apparently the official Apple Magic Keyboard for the iPad AND the Logi Combo keyboard both notably increase battery drain.

Bizarrely some people say this happens even when the iPad is in sleep mode. But detaching the keyboard with the Logi Combo while the iPad is asleep isn’t feasible because it’s part of the case.

I had no idea about this. I wonder if Bluetooth peripherals are as bad?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow googling this has uncovered a treasure trove of complaints. Apparently the official Apple Magic Keyboard for the iPad AND the Logi Combo keyboard both notably increase battery drain.

Bizarrely some people say this happens even when the iPad is in sleep mode. But detaching the keyboard with the Logi Combo while the iPad is asleep isn’t feasible because it’s part of the case.

I had no idea about this. I wonder if Bluetooth peripherals are as bad?

If not plugged into power, the Apple Magic Keyboard and Logi Combo keyboard get their power from the iPad’s battery. Meanwhile, bluetooth accessories have their own built-in batteries and the battery drain is probably similar to, say, battery drain from AirPods.

I do use a Logitech K780 + MX Ergo Plus with my 12.9” Pro. However, I have that iPad constantly plugged in to a Smart Plug while docked (maintains charge between 60-80% with iOS Shortcuts) so it’s hard to estimate the extra drain from the bluetooth keyboard. I reckon it uses a bit more power than pure tablet mode but considerably less than the Apple Magic Keyboard.

Touch ID/power. So, I have to touch the power button to authorise using my iPad. But if I then PRESS that button… The iPad turns off. This is insane. Who thought that was a good idea? Effectively, to unlock and start using the iPad, I have to (a) touch the power button and then (b) swipe up on the screen. Why have they made a basic action we do 100x every day into a two-step procedure? Who signed that off?

Make sure the following is enabled.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Top Button/Touch ID -> Rest Finger to Open

After you press and release the power/Touch ID button, keep your finger on the button for a second and it will automatically unlock without needing swipe up.

Short USB C lead. Why? It’s almost useless if you’re plugged into the wall. I’m relatively new to the world of USB C so don’t have any spare leads I can swap-in. I’ll have to buy one. I’d like a stand but not many of those work with cases in my experience.

It’s well worth it to invest in longer 6-10’ USB-C cables. I did the same thing for Lightning cables. The Apple cables just remained in the box. Partly because they’re so short and partly because we’re hard on cables and the connector on the OG cables frayed very quickly with our usage.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for your reply. The power button tip is genius. Why is an increasing number of vital usability features buried away in Accessibility? It’s like the dumping ground for tweaks Apple can’t conscience being anywhere else.

Getting the right USB-C cable is proving interesting. Most are 15 watt/3 amp, and even then they mark themselves as being “fast charging”. I believe 5 amp cables are best for the iPad Air 2022 and these appear to be twice the price if you want decent ones, and anything from 3-5x the price for a good brand like Belkin.

My technique is going to have to be to charge overnight on the Apple cable, and then keep on charge during the day when not being used with a USB-A to C cable I already have. I think this is just a fact of life if I want to keep using the Logi Combo keyboard, and I do because it’s a nice little thing. Again, this is more in line with how I would expect to use a laptop than a tablet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Getting the right USB-C cable is proving interesting. Most are 15 watt/3 amp, and even then they mark themselves as being “fast charging”. I believe 5 amp cables are best for the iPad Air 2022 and these appear to be twice the price if you want decent ones, and anything from 3-5x the price for a good brand like Belkin.

My technique is going to have to be to charge overnight on the Apple cable, and then keep on charge during the day when not being used with a USB-A to C cable I already have. I think this is just a fact of life if I want to keep using the Logi Combo keyboard, and I do because it’s a nice little thing. Again, this is more in line with how I would expect to use a laptop than a tablet.

Why do you need 5A? 15W/3A sounds like USB-A to USB-C to me and that's never gonna charge at full speed.

I believe the iPad only pulls around 2A max (30W 15V/2A). These work just fine for charging full speed (USB-C PD).

That said, if you're gonna use it for the whole day, it's likely more practical to keep it plugged in. Depending on battery drain while in use, I might even skip the overnight charging altogether.

P.S. Even back in the home button days, the Rest Finger to Open option has always been in Accessibility.

Last edited:

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Why do you need 5A? 15W/3A sounds like USB-A to USB-C to me and that's never gonna charge at full speed.

I believe the iPad only pulls around 2A max (30W 15V/2A). These work just fine for charging full speed (USB-C PD).

That said, if you're gonna use it for the whole day, it's likely more practical to keep it plugged in. Depending on battery drain while in use, I might even skip the overnight charging altogether.

Thanks for the reply. I’m new to USB-C and still learning! So, USB-A–>USB-C will only ever work at 5V.

The power brick supplied with the iPad Air 4 and 5 output the following according to the label:

5v at 3A = 15 watts
9v at 2.22A = 19.98 watts

But it seems you can use a 30 watt USB-C charger (e.g. from the MacBook Pro) and it’ll happily use that and charge faster too.

Your advice about charging during the daytime is good but I just want to be absolutely sure I have 100% each morning in case of emergency and having to be away from home.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The 'rest finger to unlock' setting fixes the swipe, but the 'rest your finger to unlock the iPad, but accidentally press it down out of muscle memory and it'll lock again' thing is annoying.

it means you have to buy an app if you want to play MP4s picture-in-picture from a NAS

Get Infuse. It's the perfect app for this. No question, I've been using it for years. The free app is good enough. There's also a paid version you need if your videos are using weird codecs.

Also, use Brave Browser for YouTube and you'll also get picture-in-picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.