Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I am going to be purchasing a Canon 40D in the near future (no changing my mind :)) and in going through all the options the S.O. raised the topic of an extended warranty. Some times these things seem to have more exit clauses than anything else.

I will most likely be going through Adorama, Amazon, B&H or Circuit City. Having done some research all I seem to be able to find is information on everything but the experience people have when they need to use the warranty which would seem to be the vital factor :).

The companies I see involved are Mack (Adorama/B&H), NEWCorp (amazon) and CircuitCity Advantage. It would appear that all require you to send in the device for repair but the cost seems to range from $70 for the Mack to $130 for the basic CC or $220 for the extended CC (2 years all around).

Any personal experiences? Any friends/associates had to use one of these services? Did you actually get an extended warranty?

Look forward to your responses.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Depends how careful you are really. If you don't think you'll need it, don't bother. I didn't buy it for my Macbook and haven't needed it. If you'll be travelling a lot and think things may screw up on you, then by all means get it. Better safe than sorry. :D

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
If you purchase with your credit card, I believe visa & mastercard will double the warranty, for up to a year.

Also, since I purchased my last lens, I have been thinking about adding a rider/schedule to my home insurance policy. Just in case.

I have read reviews about some extended warranties, and it appears some people have had difficulties with getting approvals for repairs, and so on.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Check to see if the Extended Warranty covers " Cleaning and Calibration ".

If it covers those, check to see where the C&C are done. If they allow you to send it to a Canon authorized center it may be worth it, IF you have the C&C done.

I think it can cost $100 to have that done .... not only did they clean my camera but the re-calibrated it as well. I swear when it came back from Canon it was better than new .... however ... it still was not as sharp as I would have liked. I now know that all DSLR's, no matter who makes them will not be as sharp as I might want them to be. This is due to filters installed over the sensor, or something like that.

By the way enjoy that 40D ..... I bought my 30D and a month later the 40D came out! :mad:

Hahaha ... but that's ok I since acquired a 5D. At the moment I am using the 30D while learning the 5D .... the 30D may end up as a backup, or a gift to my son.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
If you purchase with your credit card, I believe visa & mastercard will double the warranty, for up to a year.

Also, since I purchased my last lens, I have been thinking about adding a rider/schedule to my home insurance policy. Just in case.

Thank you for the reminder, my mastercard does offer doubling of the warranty for items with a 1 year or less manufacturer warranty. Perfect. Saved about $70 and to be honest given what I had read about the extended warranties I don't see me being worse off given the pain some people go through to get things fixed.

Will be making the call to the insurance people in a week or two to add tothe policy. I can use the camera to take pics of everything else for insurance purposes ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.