Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Has anyone used an accessory that can extend the wifi signal, in order to have good wifi coverage all around the house?
[automerge]1592405084[/automerge]

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
wifi extenders have been a thing for many years. So yes, many people have done so.
The big thing these days is mesh networking.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Whats that?"

It's a multi-node system (two, three or more units) that all "work together as one".
It's time for YOU to "do the investigating" and find out which mesh system would work for you.

I've had good performance with the Linksys Velop.
There is also Netgear Orbi, eero, google wifi, Ubiquiti "Amplifi", and numerous others.

Reactions: barbu

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
"Whats that?"
It's a multi-node system (two, three or more units) that all "work together as one".
Thanks for your time and guidance but i dont understand how such a network can help in my quest. Im only looking for ways to extend my home wifi signal all around the house.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Google can help you with your question, as you may already know:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-mesh-wifi-router,news-24580.html is one such "helper" web page.
The network, extended through Wifi extenders which support mesh connections, will extend your wireless network, and give you what you want (better wifi coverage). I like Amplifi, and have two different setups that I have helped install, and provide support for.
Amplifi is one, Orbi, eero, are both considered good as well. I don't have experience with any others.

If you need more coverage because of dead spots in a larger home, especially if you have multiple levels, a mesh system (replacing what you might have now) may be a great upgrade for you.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Thanks for your time and guidance but i dont understand how such a network can help in my quest. Im only looking for ways to extend my home wifi signal all around the house.
Such a network is designed to solve your exact problem.

Reactions: DeltaMac

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Such a network is designed to solve your exact problem.
I dont understand in what way it is better for my case... i mean, my case is pretty straight forward and simple. I only wish to extend the signal to be available out in the balcony of a 2 room house.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You did ask (in your first post) about what you need to have good Wifi coverage all around the house.
A mesh network will do that better than a router plus wifi extender

If you are looking for the technical reasons that a "mesh" network gives better results for extending a wireless network - Those reasons are available in a simple search.
For example, here's D-link's take on the difference, and the advantages that make a mesh network "better"

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You have been pointed in the direction you need to go.
Whether you wish to walk that way, or not, is now... up to you.

Reactions: pldelisle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.