Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hello.

I am in the process of trying to find an external Blu-Ray/DVD drive for my Dad's M1 MacBook Pro.

He will be using it primarily to watch Blu-Ray and DVD movies so playback is his focus as apposed to burning/writing.

I want to future proof it as much as possible and would be interested in 4k playback capability if that is possible.

It will be connected via a USB hub which supports USB-C, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 so the drive needs to be compatible with this connection method.

It will also be docked on a desk at all times and does not need to be portable in any way. Seeing as it's going through a hub, I'm not sure if the drive would benefit or require its own power supply. The majority I have looked at so far all seem to not require their own source, although they are typically portable focused models.

I am having a difficult time trying to pin anything down. There seem to be quite a few options available but I just want to make sure I am making the right choice regarding features and compatibility. If anyone has experience with this and could offer guidance or suggestions I would really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Ryan.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
ASUS BW-16D1X-U is what I have attached my Studio.
been faultless, though I do use more for ripping then playback/burning.

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
ASUS BW-16D1X-U is what I have attached my Studio.
been faultless, though I do use more for ripping then playback/burning.
Oh unreal, thanks for the info. I live in Australia and it seems I can only find this model to purchase locally: Asus BW-16D1H-U Pro. It looks and sounds pretty great though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.