Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a84c72

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2018
I have a 2019 Macbook Pro running Big Sur (up to date). I have an external drive that I use to store files and libraries as a backup to the Macbook (this is not my time machine backup). My son took a ton of pictures over the weekend and I wanted to go through his SD card and choose which pictures I wanted to keep. Because my Macbook does not have these extra ports (only 2 USB-C), I jumped on my daughter's iMac. Hers is a 2011 and on High Sierra. I went through the card and did a drag and drop onto my external drive. Everything seemed to be fine until I wanted to eject the drive. It would not eject. I tried to relaunch Finder. I tried to log out and log back in.... it wasn't having ANY of it. Then things decided to freeze...completely..leaving the only option to manually turn the thing off.

I jumped back to my Macbook and plugged the drive into my hub (goes into a USB-C). I was able to open the drive with no issues....and a few seconds later, everything froze and I got the beach ball of death. I could not force quit anything. I manually turned my Macbook off and turned it back on. Again...when I tried to open a folder in my external drive, it caused the beach ball. I put it back over on my daughter's computer and although it stayed open a bit longer, it eventually froze hers up, as well.

I booted into recovery and ran the disk utility on my external. It stated it could not be verified completely and there were two codes given: 69842 and 69845. I have no idea how to fix this. The drive shows on my mac and I could open it and see folders, but there was no getting into the folders without a freeze. Now I can't even open the folders...I can sometimes open the drive and see folders, but that would be the limit.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.