Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
I don't see it on desktop or under "devices" in finder... yet when unplugging the drive once I noticed I was warned about possible damage to contents.

with a tower I'd know to disconnect power source and wait an hour. here ... is some analogous procedure indicated?

what the heck do I do
-- oh, also, btw - main HD was partitioned into 2 parts, only one of which is showing under "devices" and on the desktop.

Ext drive is linked via USB

there's gotta be a simple solution? Please advise, thanks :)

Last edited:

MiMiN

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
I don't see it on desktop or under "devices" in finder... yet when unplugging the drive once I noticed I was warned about possible damage to contents.

with a tower I'd know to disconnect power source and wait an hour. here ... is some analogous procedure indicated?

what the heck do I do
-- oh, also, btw - main HD was partitioned into 2 parts, only one of which is showing under "devices" and on the desktop.

Ext drive is linked via USB

there's gotta be a simple solution? Please advise, thanks :)

What brand is your hard drive? Some Seagates and Samsungs have been known to have Mac compatibility issues after a while for some reason. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. What you want to do now to pre-empt this is most likely get Data Rescue (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php) and backup whatever you have before something major happens (I'm talking from experience here, wish I had done that on some of my earlier hard drives), and then format the HDD through Disk Utility.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop: > External disks (is it checked?)
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Show these items in the Sidebar: > External Disks (is it checked?)

Reactions: clearedblur

MiMiN

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop: > External disks (is it checked?)
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Show these items in the Sidebar: > External Disks (is it checked?)

Also, what GGJstudios said. :p

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Is the external drive plugged directly into your USB port or via a USB hub?

Some USB hubs don't have enough power to support some external drives and require an external power supply to work 100%.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Sounds like your hard drive is partitioned as NTFS or some other non-Mac-recognizable filesystem.

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
oh wait, well in the finder pref sidebar the very tippity top thing wasn't checked, which appears to be "device central" and is called ""First Users Macbook Pro". now previously I didn't need this, but... when it's checked off it looks as though I get back both partitions and the ext drive via this "device".

under "devices" I still get the startupdisc partition of main HD listed below "first user's macbook pro"

so I Can get around now, thank you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sounds like your hard drive is partitioned as NTFS or some other non-Mac-recognizable filesystem.
Macs do recognize NTFS drives and native Mac OS X can read NTFS drives. With additional software, Mac can also write to NTFS. That wouldn't be a reason for a drive to not be recognized by Mac OS X.
Glad you got it sorted out!

Nov 28, 2010
located
oh wait, well in the finder pref sidebar the very tippity top thing wasn't checked, which appears to be "device central" and is called ""First Users Macbook Pro". now previously I didn't need this, but... when it's checked off it looks as though I get back both partitions and the ext drive via this "device".

under "devices" I still get the startupdisc partition of main HD listed below "first user's macbook pro"

What you see, is you computer name and it then lists all connected storage devices.
Click on External disks, as it probably looks like this now:
2012_01_02_pB1_Finder_prefs_Sidebar_extHDDs.png
but it should look like this:
2012_01_02_pB2_Finder_prefs_Sidebar_extHDDs.png

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
oh that's also the case - the "tick" was a horizontal line, not a check mark!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Macs do recognize NTFS drives and native Mac OS X can read NTFS drives. With additional software, Mac can also write to NTFS. That wouldn't be a reason for a drive to not be recognized by Mac OS X.

Macs don't read ext partitions AFAIK.
But it doesn't matter, glad it's all sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.