Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm in the market for an external flash. It's something I don't know much about. I know I want one with a pivoting head, and I have a Canon Rebel XT.

So if anyone could send me some links or some tips on what I should be looking for it would be greatly appreciated.

Later.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Any of the Canon range of dedicated flash units with a swivel / bounce head will do the job perfectly. :)

Independent flash manufacturers also make units dedicated for Canon cameras.

Eg Metz, Cobra etc.

FJ

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
What's your price range? If you want top of the line for the Rebel, go with the new 580EX II ($500). Want lower? The 580EX was top of the line until about a month ago ($400). Want something in between? 420EX is nice ($250). For low end, anything that will your hot shoe will perform about the same. FJ suggested the Metz, which are really nice, and not that expensive, but there have been some compatibility issues in the past.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Sweet, thanks. I don't think I could really afford a Canon flash even though I would love one. But how would a Sigma EF500DG Super compare to the Canon 580EX? Sigma is more in my price range.

Has anyone used the Sigma EF500DG Super before? If so, what are your opinions on it?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Sweet, thanks. I don't think I could really afford a Canon flash even though I would love one. But how would a Sigma EF500DG Super compare to the Canon 580EX? Sigma is more in my price range.

Has anyone used the Sigma EF500DG Super before? If so, what are your opinions on it?

I'm not familiar with Canon's flash line, so I don't know about TTL compatibility, or what other sorts of flash magic they do, but the biggest differentiator other than automatic functions for a flash gun is going to be the guide number (GN) which is a measure of the power output of the flash. Given that flash helps so much in getting catch lights, fill flash is really more useful than pure flash, and dragging the shutter, even inside is a good thing- for Nikon, matrix balanced fill-flash with a little compensation makes this a breeze- and probably worth the extra expense over a manual unit in terms of convenience, so if Canon has similar things, it may well be worth looking for an older unit if the functionality is there.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I use the Sigma EF 500 DG Super. It's a great flash with lots of capability. Comparable to the 580ex for the price of the 420ex.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
The Sigma flashes tend to get good reviews. What exactly do you want to do with this flash? That can help us make recommendations.

Anyhow, you should get some cheap RF slaves ($25 at gadgetinfinity.com) and a lightstand with the flash unit. You can then learn about off camera lighting at strobist.blogspot.com. It's a great site for learning.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Well I'm mainly going to use it for live band photography. The onboard flash just doesn't cut it. I need more control over the flash. But I will use it when I'm on set of a film shoot, and I want to take some photos or when I'm scouting locations.

I know I will be using it a lot since I'll have more control and power from the external flash.

Thanks, Zeke. I'm totally leaning towards the Sigma EF 500 DG Super.

Anyone else with any input?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.