Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
So, I finally decided to take a little more control of my lightning and I want to get a decent flash for my Canon 40D. However, I've never used lightning much, and I don't know much about what are some good flashes to get. Any help or suggestions people have would be more than appreciated, because right now I'm fairly in the dark (oh god, I just realized what a bad pun that could be).

Here's what I'm working with:
Canon 40D
300mm f/4L IS
28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
50mm f/1.8
24mm f/1.4L

I typically like to take close shots of cats/flowers/etc, some distance shots of birds/wildlife/etc, along with some action shots for martial arts/hockey/other sports, and normal shots of family and the life.

Yes, I know that's a broad list :), sorry.

JNB

macrumors 604
I've got the Canon 430EX, and couldn't be happier with it. I just needed to learn to trust the camera/flash combo, and let it do its thing naturally. Really great piece of kit. the 580 is even better, but I didn't want to spend the extra $$ up front, and if I transition to it later, the 430 can be slaved to it easily.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Like JohnNotBeatle said the 430 and 580 are probably a good starting point. I have both, having purchased the 430 recently as a slave. The 580 is beefier, with more range and better controls. The 430 is a smaller, lighter (as well as cheaper) version of the 580, but it can't be used as a master flash.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Flash and a 300mm lens don't go well together. Few flashes have the power to light up a distant subject.

For your people shots you'd be bouncing the light off the ceiling or wall and a Canon dedicated TTL speedlight would be ideal. For close up work you wil likely want to remove the flash from the camera and use a sync cord so that you can control the angle of the light. Automation d not as helpfull here because you are setting up the shot and have a few seconds to think. You will likey want to use the flash both on and off camera and for on camera work you will want a unit that allows you to fire it backwards and light up a back wall or ceiling or side wall.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
If you haven't already go to strobist.blogspot.com and read everything you can. After that, you'll be ready to ask quesitons.

Thanks, reading over it. Definitely need to, I don't even understand simple terms for flashes. Just never used them before now.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have used my 430 flash at concerts from 200' with a 200mm lens. It is definitely not a pretty effect, but I was amazed how much light it got to the target. For macro photography, you definitely want to get the flash off the camera (either with a cord or master/slave). So far I haven't invested in either, so if it isn't too bright, I pick a long shutter speed (1s+) and small aperture and fire the flash manually while the shutter is open, you can create really interesting effects by firing from a few different angles. If the ambient light is low enough, only the areas lit by the flash come through.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
I want a flash for my Canon G9, but didn't want to spend enough to get a Canon 430....

I just ordered one of these. It should arrive in the next few days, and I'll see if it lives up to the advertised features for me. It seems to be pretty new on the market and I couldn't find a review for it anywhere. If it sucks, I'll return it and keep shopping: http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Digital-SmartFlash-Bounce-ETTL-II/dp/B000YDX1C2

with a GN of 99, Canon ETTL-II compatibility, tilt, fast recharge time, etc. it makes all the right noises. Curious to see what it's like in real life.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Thank you everyone for replying. I read over at Strobist and finally ended up buying Canon's 580 II, along with a nice bogen stand and a bogen clamp. Went with a white umbrella so I could shoot through it if I wanted, as well. My only concern now is to attach it with a cord or a pocket wizard. I "know" I should get a pocket wizard, but I'd rather not spend the money :eek:. We'll see. Can't wait to get it all :).

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
For far away shots w/ the 300mm, I have heard a lot of people mention the Better Beamer.

But I have also heard to be careful w/ it as it could bore a hole in your flash (behind it) if the sun hits it the right (or wrong) way.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
For far away shots w/ the 300mm, I have heard a lot of people mention the Better Beamer.

But I have also heard to be careful w/ it as it could bore a hole in your flash (behind it) if the sun hits it the right (or wrong) way.

Fresnel lenses are indeed not unidirectional and a Better Beamer will melt your flash if it's pointed into the sun while it's on the flash.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the advice, I've definitely added the better beamer for use with my 300 lens.

So the only real concern with using it is to avoid pointing it at the sun while it's in use?

I'm also wondering what opinions people have for wireless transmitters for flashes. There are two I'm looking at right now, a pocket wizard multimax or canon's speedlite transmitter st-e2. I'm a little worried about the speedlite, as it uses infrared instead of a radio signal which will limit where I can place it and I don't know if it needs line of sight to work (no thick branches or something in the way), but I've also heard people say the pocket wizard broke on them within a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.