Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Hi guys, I am new here! Title sound terrific I know :D

I have got a MBRP Late '14 which I use in daily basis. I have 2 monitors, if we count the retina display: 3. One of my friend that is using external monitor said that he has some "lag" issues with the iris, I tried and there was some irritating things like overheat. So I want to go the eGPU route with a PCIe box. (e.g. Akitio Thunderbolt 2, or the cheapest thing I get) I want retire my desktop and salvage the parts from it for an external graphics card. I have some questions about feasibility. DISCLAIMER: I WILL USE THE SETUP ONLY FOR DEVELOPMENT NOT FOR GAMING.

I got Eyefinity Radeon HD7570 (50W), a 6 years old 300W PSU. HP x2301 Monitor (1080p), and a "old laptop screen to monitor" mod which is 1366x768. I use El Capitan, I know I have to disable System Integrity Protection.
  • Will I be able to "power down my computer, disconnect the GPU, go work on outside without GPU, power down my computer, come back to my place, connect GPU, boot the system, use it with GPU"?
  • I've read people said AMD has some issues, but I never seen anybody try or explain how to do it. Will it really have problems if I use it for daily coding? I don't want to break the bank for getting a nVidia.
  • If it is nearly impossible to create stable relationship between AMD and mac. Will any old nVidia card do the job for me? I want to run 2 more screens, I will not play anything except maybe MAME or HL1. Can you guys suggest me cheapest card that will satisfy me?
  • I am planing to get Akitio Thunderbolt2, it seems like it has best value/performance. Can you guys suggest me any better option?
  • On most of the housings they have a Thunderbolt port for daisy chaining, I am planing to put a thunderbolt dock as well. Will it create any performance issues? Or should I connect both devices directly?
  • Is it possible to run retina with iris but the monitors with external GPU? (I am just curious about this. It is not relevant.)
Thank you already! You read the post at least :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.