Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wondersock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
I have been using external WD hard drives for several years. My hard drives are all formatted for both MAC and PC.

I got a new 10TB external in 2019, barely used. I also just bought a new PC, and it opens my drive, opens Lightroom, then crashes.

I have now repaired the disk several times, it says the drive has been repaired but it continues to do the same thing over and over. I have no issues on my MacBook pro. This is not a drive formatting issue, I need advise.

I have been having very bad luck with PC's so I am thinking it may be an issue with the PC. I have already returned a brand new PC from CyberPower PC because it came with a damaged graphics card.

All I have done on this PC since getting it, was download the creative suite apps I need from Adobe.

Attachments

• IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 120

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, as a long time Windows user - I can tell you that I've had this happen on my drive (8TB Seagate) that I use for Mac and PC backups. I partition the drive - one that has the TimeMachine partition for Mac and 1 that has NTFS for Windows 10. That largely resolves it for me.

As long as you can view the data - I would ignore it. I've done these "scans/fixes" till I was blue in the face and it never changed (even booted pre-windows to scandisk). Partitioning helped a lot in that department. (Have a small EXFAT partition if you want to transfer data back and forth).

wondersock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Unfortunately I can’t ignore it. It kicks me out of the program that I am trying to use every single time. I need to run light room, and it is impossible with this error I’m given.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You said your 10TB is formatted for both Mac and PC. There's several different possibilities for how to do that, and some work better than others.
How exactly is your 10TB drive formatted?
One partition, ExFat?
One partition, NTFS, so you have to use NTFS software on your Mac?
Two partitions, one for Mac, and one for Windows?

Do you get the same issue on the drive, even if you don't use it with your macOS system? (test this if you are not sure: Do what you need to use it with Windows. When done, set it aside (do NOT connect to a Mac for this test). When you next use Lightroom on Windows, and you connect the 10TB drive, does it STILL need repairs, even when you have not connected to a Mac at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.