Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
is there anyway to hook up an external hard drive to a camera while you are shooting and have the pictures sent to the hard drive as opposed to a compact flash card?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I don't think so. But there are memory cards with built-in wireless transmitters that can directly send the photos to a nearby laptop for storage on the laptop. They're actually not that expensive either

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I don't think so. But there are memory cards with built-in wireless transmitters that can directly send the photos to a nearby laptop for storage on the laptop. They're actually not that expensive either

got a link for that?

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
There's Eye-Fi but they only seem to be for SD cards.

http://www.eye.fi/

If you are going to lug a laptop around with you, there is software that will let you save the pictures to your laptop's hard drive and even control the camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
is there anyway to hook up an external hard drive to a camera while you are shooting and have the pictures sent to the hard drive as opposed to a compact flash card?

Yes, they call it "tethered shooing". Connect your camera with USB to your Mac, bring up Image Capture and click the "take a picture button"

There is better software that you can get from Nikon or Canon that allows more control.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
There's Eye-Fi but they only seem to be for SD cards.

I read either directly on the Eye-Fi web site, or somewhere else, that you can buy a very inexpensive SD to CF adapter and that works just as well

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I am familiar with tethered shooting i was just curious to see if there was a way to rig my western digital external hd to my camera. it's not that big and it's so much more memory.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
no need to get smart. canon 50d.

LMAO ... get smart? You want a specialized solution for a specific camera, but you didn't tell us which camera! There's no need to get your panties in a knot.

Look at the Canon grip I mentioned before. It's not cheap, but it does exactly what you want to do.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
still not exactly what my question was. the answer to my question is no. you can't hook the external straight to the camera. the transmitter is something i already knew about but it's price isn't exactly in budget.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
still not exactly what my question was. the answer to my question is no. you can't hook the external straight to the camera. the transmitter is something i already knew about but it's price isn't exactly in budget.

*sigh* Now you're just being a pain.

From Canon's press release on the WFT-E3A:
Designed exclusively for the EOS 40D SLR, the new Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A*/** permits wireless transfer and back-up, as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode. It can also be connected to various GPS receivers or Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as convenient flash drives or high-capacity hard drives with much larger storage capacity than the memory cards in the camera for instant back-up as images are captured. Compact and affordable, the WFT-E3A wireless transmitter also doubles as a vertical grip and requires its own BP-511A battery pack in addition to the battery installed in the camera body.

The 50D has since been shown to be compatible with this grip.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i realize that but for what i do i may not be able to carry my laptop or have it close enough for the transmitter to be able to send the files

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
i realize that but for what i do i may not be able to carry my laptop or have it close enough for the transmitter to be able to send the files

facepalm.jpeg

Re-read the part that I bolded. Seriously.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
so still a little unclear as far as the wireless part goes. i know can connect the hd straight to the transmitter but to send them to the computer do you have to have an internet connection or just be in range of your computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.