Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imbadwithusernames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Spain
Hey,
While I'm waiting for my MacBook Pro 15" TB to arrive I'm making a list of accessories I need so I'll be prepared, however, as I don't have any knowledge on External Hard Drives or Hard Disks (I don't know if there's any difference) I don't know which one to buy, so I thought you guys might help me.

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
Hard disks is mostly internal and needs an enclosure that will powers up your HDD. You will need a wall plug for your enclosure else its mostly useless. As for external, it can just run off from your laptop hence making it more portable.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Depends upon the budget and what you will be using it for. I have both a WD My Passport Metal for Time Machine backups as well as a Samsung 850 EVO in an enclosure for other external that I use for all of my photos and videos that I'm working on. You don't have to go that route though as Samsung already makes an external version of it. Look for the Samsung T3. There are other options but that and the Western Digital are excellent starting points. Again it all depends upon your needs. The one is an SSD so it's very fast and the other is a standard spinning disk.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey,
While I'm waiting for my MacBook Pro 15" TB to arrive I'm making a list of accessories I need so I'll be prepared, however, as I don't have any knowledge on External Hard Drives or Hard Disks (I don't know if there's any difference) I don't know which one to buy, so I thought you guys might help me.
There are not many USB-C external drives around yet. I noticed in another thread Apple is selling this Lacie USB-C drive with a pretty decent discounted price.

What I did was bought this USB-C enclosure and pulled the hard drive out of a USB-A enclosure I had and popped it in the new enclosure.

Reactions: groundcontrol

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Pretty similar to what I did: Samsung EVO 850 & a Satechi USB-C enclosure off of amazon. Works like a charm...minus other OSX issues.
I'm using the same SSD as you in that enclosure I linked for CCC clones and it just screams. Really fast clones.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I'm using the same SSD as you in that enclosure I linked for CCC clones and it just screams. Really fast clones.
I've got a bit under 1TB of raw photo files & some video clips stored on there. Needed something faster than what I had and I didn't want to have all of it on my MBP if I could avoid it. Little speed demon that drive is!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
+1 Samsung T3. It is usb-c, it just doesn't come with a usb-c to usb-c cable. It comes with a usb-c to 3.0 cable. Super fast and small and light. However, even though it's reasonably priced, there are much cheaper HDD's out there. The question is what will you use it for so you can determine if you really need the speed. I don't necessarily need it, I just prefer speed like everyone else. For backing up in time machine and occasional file transfers, speed is not a huge issue, but it will save some time. My encrypted TM backups take 1 or 2 minutes on T3, about half of what my fastest HDD do. Transferring files is even faster (4x). What price are you willing to pay for speed. Again, T3 isn't that expensive.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I recomend samsung T3, i got it and its very fast for a small external, and has usb-c connection (but works on usb3 too) and its even same color as space grey macbook :D

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I recomend samsung T3, i got it and its very fast for a small external, and has usb-c connection (but works on usb3 too) and its even same color as space grey macbook :D
Haha. You had me checking my T3 to see if that's true. I always thought it was more bronze color. Upon closer inspection, it is a cross between space gray and bronze according to my eyes. T3 FTW!

Reactions: Kn!ghthawk

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Just by the typical usb 3.0 drives. Buy some usb-c to usb A and usb-mini-b cables. Most of the Western Digital and Seagate drives have a usb-mini-b superspeed cables on the back of the drive.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
As an FYI: keep a USB 2.0 hub handy. Some of us have been having issues with data transfer to external drives crashing the computer. Oddly enough it doesn't happen with a USB 2.0 hub or cable put in between. There's a few threads on that here if you care to look.

qnap

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
UK
Samsung T3 is the smallest and fastest external storage you can find

I disagree with the fastest part, the Samsung T3 is usb 3.1 gen 1. However the Sandisk Extreme 900 which is usb-c 3.1 gen 2 allows faster throughput of 850 MB/s R/W.

I looked at both of the above when deciding to purchase myself, advantages of the T3 being the form factor, very portable. However if you want top performance and want to utilise the new MacBooks usb-c gen 2 ports then the Sandisk is a better option IMO.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can get a WD My Passport 4TB (3.0) for $129.00 versus the Samsung T3 for $100. In my opinion, the WD is a better deal. It is plenty fast for storage and backups. I have 3 of the WD My Passport connected to a hub, which is plugged into my AirPort Extreme. Has been working smoothly for backups and for media streaming to Apple TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazee928 and Dim08

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
I've picked up a WD My Cloud 3TB from Amazon for £119, haven't used it yet as my tMBP isnt due until December 20th-29th but hopefully it will be a decent drive.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I've picked up a WD My Cloud 3TB from Amazon for £119, haven't used it yet as my tMBP isnt due until December 20th-29th but hopefully it will be a decent drive.
It doesn't work well for Time Machine (home or business network) backups. It will backup normally the first time or two. And after that, you will get messages saying that the Time Machine backup is corrupt and needs to be started again. WD has also been slow with software updates.

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
It doesn't work well for Time Machine (home or business network) backups. It will backup normally the first time or two. And after that, you will get messages saying that the Time Machine backup is corrupt and needs to be started again. WD has also been slow with software updates.

So you think I'd be better to return it (it's still sealed) and Amazon have a good returns policy so it's not an issue??

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
So you think I'd be better to return it (it's still sealed) and Amazon have a good returns policy so it's not an issue??
I would. I wish I had known about all the problems before I purchased it. There have been a lot of reports on this forum and other places on the web as well.

If you want to use it strictly for storage and not for Time Machine, it will do fine, However, you can get more storage for less with other options.

Reactions: Weaselboy

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
I would. I wish I had known about all the problems before I purchased it. There have been a lot of reports on this forum and other places on the web as well.

If you want to use it strictly for storage and not for Time Machine, it will do fine, However, you can get more storage for less with other options.

I'm with BGG on this... the forums are full of people having troubles getting that thing to work with Time Machine.

Cheers guys, think I'll get on to Amazon and arrange a return, what would be a better option for Time Machine?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Cheers guys, think I'll get on to Amazon and arrange a return, what would be a better option for Time Machine?
If budget allows, I would go with an Airport Extreme ($200.00) and then get an external hard driver to plug into it directly or via a hub. Your Mac will see this set up as if it were an actual Time Capsule. Very easy to set up. Nice not to have external hard drives connected to the Mac with this method.

Weasel's option will work well.

You can purchase an actual NAS that works well with Macs and Time Machine. However, it can get expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.