Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
HI all,

So I'm plugging in my external hard drive(2TB Buffalo, not portable, it draw power from a cable) to my macbook retina pro as per usual and one day I get a message stating that i "this disk in not readable by this computer" I turn it off, I change wires from firewall 800 to usb, I change the power cord and it sometimes recognizes and I had access to some of the files in the first half of the day but after trying to access constantly, it now doesn't even allow me to move any folder from the drive.
It says "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8058)."
and tells me all my folders are zero bytes... The hard drive is formatted to Mac Journal extended

I tried to do the "first aid" on disk utilities but it says it can't be done but it does recognize it. I don't want to format it right away because I'm trying to dump the files onto a new drive.

I upgraded to high sierra and there has been a lot of buggy issues and others have had this issue with there harddrive, so I thought it was the OS until I tried to mount it on my really old mac book. I get the same message from my old mac book as I do on my retina and the old mac book is running leopard(2007 or something).

So I can only assume the hard drive itself in dying or corrupt and wanted to know your thoughts. Any help will do thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.