Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I need some help with setting up external monitor for digital image editing purpose till I get iMac. At present I've a 24" monitor capable of doing UXGA resolution. I've got 13" MBP 2010. I normally use Canon Digital Photo Professional and Lightroom 3 for editing images from my Canon 20D. I like MBP 13 for this purpose but the screen real estate is too small for this kind of work. I've got display port to DVI adapter which I can use to connect MBP to external monitor. What will be best way to use both monitors for greater use of screen real estate ? Is it possible to set different resolution for external monitor than what is on MBP 13 screen (1280x800) ?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Yes when you connect the monitor to the MBP it acts like an independent second monitor. Both can run at their native resolutions and you can adjust some settings in the "display" section of the system preferences including the orientation/arrangement of the screens, mirroring (which you don't want), rotation, etc.

Ruahrc

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Yes when you connect the monitor to the MBP it acts like an independent second monitor. Both can run at their native resolutions and you can adjust some settings in the "display" section of the system preferences including the orientation/arrangement of the screens, mirroring (which you don't want), rotation, etc.

Ruahrc

Okay I tried it but for some reason external LCD doesnot seems to be setting at max resoultion. It keeps getting stuck at lower resoultion (same as MBP screen). After I close MBP and run only external LCD it works fine but could not get it working as 2 separate screens.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Okay I tried it but for some reason external LCD doesnot seems to be setting at max resoultion. It keeps getting stuck at lower resoultion (same as MBP screen). After I close MBP and run only external LCD it works fine but could not get it working as 2 separate screens.

Sounds like you have Mirroring turned on. Do you have a monitor icon in your meubar over to the right? Click that, and select "turn off mirroring".

If that doesn't work, go to system preferences: monitors, and turn off mirroring in there.

I use my 2007 MBP with an Apple Cinema 20" ADC display at home, and it switches seamlessly first time, every time.

Also, if you occasionally connect to other screens, the MBP remembers them, too! You can actually have different desktop backgrounds, and they switch automatically.

:apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.