Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Highdom_MAc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I'm going to buy a June 2017 Macbook Pro 15.4 and I wish to use it for almost of the time with an external 27 inch FullHD IPS display, like this or this for instance or other similar displays, if it's not so important the model), connecting with a HTDI to thunderbolt cable
Will the ratio (external display wil all be turn on) be correct on HDMI display for any display I buy? Have I to be careful with resolution and ratio of the new display?

Just to testing my workflow, I tried to connect an old LED samsung monitor to my macbook air 13.3 2014, using a thunderbolt to VGA cable. The external monitor displays the Mac Os but with a wrong ratio (side regions of the display were off), in both the case I expanded the screen or just duplicate Macbook Air one's.
I actually use this old display on my iMac 21.5 late 2012 slim but there's no problems, display all is correctly turned on.
So i decided to hear from you before buy this new display.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That’s the wrong cable to use with a 2017 MBP.

You want a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (same physical connector) to HDMI.

That cable is Mini DisplayPort Or Thunderbolt 1/2 (same physical connector) to HDMI.

Highdom_MAc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Ok sorry I just don't think about new cable, USB-C

Does these external monitor has the same problem of compatibility with my MBP? Have I to see the ratio of the external display to understand if a monitor is compatible or OS X will adapt ratio screen to any display of any sizes? thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You'll have no problems connecting a 1080p display to the new MBP, but you have to use the right type of connecting cable.

What cable you use depends upon the ports ON THE BACK OF THE DISPLAY.

If you have displayport...
... you need a "USBc (Mac) to displayport (display)" cable.

If you have HDMI...
... you need a "USBc (Mac) to HDMI (display)" cable

If you have DVI...
... you need a "USBc (Mac) to DVI (display)" cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.