Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juantrix

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
Yes, you can. But no output yet. But can use as compute.
You only need to attach a DIY power connector in the Botton. (I use a Razor core X)
+info: link

juantrix

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
I used a 8pin female (pcie) to a Side A/Side B connector to power de card. I tried a W5500x.
IMG_3480.jpg

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'd be curious what happens if you try plugging an MPX card into a standard PCI slot using a PCI extension ribbon. I'd assume power would be insufficient given that goes over the MPX slot
Sorry, I should have said, short answer: no. Long answer: it depends, but it's certainly not simple, and you're probably as likely to short something on the card as you are to make it work.

juantrix

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
Yes it "worked". Inspired by @tsercitpo build a power connector for the MPX Module (instead of solder it), so installed it in a egpu case. Connected to thunderbolt to my Hack it was detected, funcional but not optimal (4x vs 16x) & no output. Only for compute purposes.
Finished return it.

joevt

macrumors 604
Jun 21, 2012
Yes it "worked". Inspired by @tsercitpo build a power connector for the MPX Module (instead of solder it), so installed it in a egpu case. Connected to thunderbolt to my Hack it was detected, funcional but not optimal (4x vs 16x) & no output. Only for compute purposes.
Finished return it.
Strange that it works for Compute but not for Video Output. Maybe this is a problem that WhateverGreen and Lilu can solve (may require new patch). I guess first question to ask is: can it work connected this way in a Mac Pro 2019 non-MPX slot? Or even an MPX slot without the MPX part?

juantrix

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
I think the MPX Part, add video connection (output) to thunderbolts port in MP2019. If the video card has TB3 output (include JHL7xxx) it need additional PCIe lanes too.
Pcie 16x is standart.... only need to add power.

MW662_AV1.jpeg

joevt

macrumors 604
Jun 21, 2012
I think the MPX Part, add video connection (output) to thunderbolts port in MP2019. If the video card has TB3 output (include JHL7xxx) it need additional PCIe lanes too.
Pcie 16x is standart.... only need to add power.
Yes, the MPX part can have up to four 4-lane DisplayPort 1.4 connections and two PCIe 3.0 x4 connections.
Each Thunderbolt port (up to four) also requires a USB 2.0 connection (need to verify that by connecting a USB 2.0 device and checking what controller it is connected to).

juantrix

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
I used a edge card connector (6pin in my case) extracted from a MAC G5 Board (AGP GPU Power). Cutted the sides to insert the card. You can find this or better edge card connector from diferente sides.

164-b1.jpg

My Razer eGPU uses a 8pin to power the GPU, so I buyed and modified an extensor. All 12v fires to one side and Ground to the other.
IMG_3480.jpg

And the extensor for the PCIe 16x.

At the moment, you can use/buy a better/more power card from PC with video output & unnecessary mod.

Reactions: edgerider

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
One thing to remember is MPX cards are not designed to be properly cooled by themselves. Their cooling is connected to the fan system of the Mac Pro. Even if you can get them running separately, you’d want to attach some active fans to the heat sink to move air through properly. Running them with no active cooling is inadvisable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.