Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biggus_Baratheon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
Hi all,

I upgraded my partners iMac (2020 21.5in) with an external NVME boot drive a few months ago. It was very fast at the beginning, but now it has slowed significantly and takes several minutes to boot.

Sometimes the computer crashes and freezes on boot, and I have to run disk utility in recovery mode to get it to boot again (although it never finds any issues).
  1. The drive is a WD Blue SN550 1TB
  2. The enclosure is a Sabrent m2 USB 3.2
  3. Its connected via the thunderbolt/usb c port
Currently running Monteray 12.1.

Can anyone give advice on how to fix this?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need to consider that this could be a problem with the SSD itself.
Or, with the enclosure. Does it get hot?

Or... even the connecting cable.

One thing's for certain:
Get the SSD backed up, soon!

paedocypris

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2021
Hi all,

I upgraded my partners iMac (2020 21.5in) with an external NVME boot drive a few months ago. It was very fast at the beginning, but now it has slowed significantly and takes several minutes to boot.

Sometimes the computer crashes and freezes on boot, and I have to run disk utility in recovery mode to get it to boot again (although it never finds any issues).
  1. The drive is a WD Blue SN550 1TB
  2. The enclosure is a Sabrent m2 USB 3.2
  3. Its connected via the thunderbolt/usb c port
Currently running Monteray 12.1.

Can anyone give advice on how to fix this?
I have the same problem, same brand of enclosure and drive. Have you fix the issue?

Biggus_Baratheon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
I have the same problem, same brand of enclosure and drive. Have you fix the issue?
Nope! My guess is Monterey borked booting from an external drive as the iMac was very snappy initially pre-Monterey (Big Sur?). This summer I opened up the iMac and installed the same SSD internally (as well as upgrading the RAM, CPU, and switching out the HD for a 2.5 SSD) and its been running flawlessly since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.