Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
Hey everyone, I'm having a really weird problem lately that I can't seem to figure out. My external speaker (it's this one) has a built-in power saving function to shut down after 10 minutes if no audio is being played.

I listen to music constantly while I work, and I have this speaker hooked up to my MBP through the headphone jack. Well, on some days, my speaker shuts off every 10 minutes, even though Spotify is still running (in the background or foreground makes no difference). I have to turn the speaker off and back on again to continue listening, which gets extremely frustrating after a while. I don't understand why it keeps "going to sleep" when it should be receiving an audio signal... And like I said, this is seemingly random. Sometimes I don't have this issue and can listen for hours on end, but other times it starts to shut off every 10 minutes on the dot.

I don't have this problem with youtube or any other audio source coming from my laptop, nor do I have the problem if I hook up my phone to the speaker, so I'm led to believe that the problem is either Spotify or macOS related, and not an issue with the speaker itself. This was happening on Mavericks as well. I just recently updated to Sierra, but the problem persists.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or explanations of what might be happening would be greatly appreciated!

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Buy a new BT or even Airplay device. There are lots of cheap alternatives and that thing you use has way too many 1 star ratings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.