Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purzeki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Hi,

I've recently bought myself an external SSD with an enclosure (Simplecom NVMe M.2 SSD to USB-C) Which has given me a USB-A and USB-C cable. My SSD is a Kingston NVMe M.2 500GB.

I've done a bit of reading and can understand that I probably need a thunderbolt enclosure to get better speed.. However I have another issue that I can't work out what it is. My M1 is very inconsistent in the way it mounts the external SDD. Sometimes it comes up, other times it doesn't (even though the light on the enclosure is on). When I use the USB-A cable through a USB 3.0 hub, there were a number of times it mounted if I restart my laptop with it connected. At times its 480mbps and other times if I'm lucky it's 5Gbps (both times it is connected into a USB 3.0 hub). And when I use the USB-C cable that came with the Simplecom enclosure, it shows me in the detail below that it's on 10Gb/s, but with this cable the drive doesn't even show up (see the attached image), eventually the blue light on the enclosure turns off.

I guess it would be great to have a speedy SDD, but I can't even mount it consistently!

I can't really see a pattern so I can work out what the issue might be. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 7.56.03 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.21.52 pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.