Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sampollock87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Halling, UK
Hi all,

This is my first post here so apologies if this has been raised before. If there is another thread can someone please point me in the right direction?

I currently have a MacBook Pro 13", a few days ago the system crashed, just switched to a black screen, I left it a while, then restarted and the system wouldn't accept my passwords - I have been through the live chats with able, been into recovery mode, tried to run first aid, but nothing appears to be working.

Rather stupidly I have never created a back up (lesson well and truly learnt with this case) or used Time Machine on this particular device so am forced to erase and re-install to OS.

My question is, if I were to remove the hard drive form the MacBook, and connect it to an external hdd casing (caddy or whatever they are called) would I be able to access the files that are on the drive. I have a number of photos on there from family holidays that I would love to be able to recover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Hi all,

This is my first post here so apologies if this has been raised before. If there is another thread can someone please point me in the right direction?

I currently have a MacBook Pro 13", a few days ago the system crashed, just switched to a black screen, I left it a while, then restarted and the system wouldn't accept my passwords - I have been through the live chats with able, been into recovery mode, tried to run first aid, but nothing appears to be working.

Rather stupidly I have never created a back up (lesson well and truly learnt with this case) or used Time Machine on this particular device so am forced to erase and re-install to OS.

My question is, if I were to remove the hard drive form the MacBook, and connect it to an external hdd casing (caddy or whatever they are called) would I be able to access the files that are on the drive. I have a number of photos on there from family holidays that I would love to be able to recover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Probably not... but.. something you can try first is putting an operating system on an external disk... and seeing if the MacBook will boot off of that by holding down the option key while attempting to start up. It will likely give you the chance to boot off the external drive. From there see if you can access the internal drive... that’s essentially accomplishing the same thing as removing it but its a lot easier. You can also try various disk remover programs once you boot into an external drive.

sampollock87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Halling, UK
Probably not... but.. something you can try first is putting an operating system on an external disk... and seeing if the MacBook will boot off of that by holding down the option key while attempting to start up. It will likely give you the chance to boot off the external drive. From there see if you can access the internal drive... that’s essentially accomplishing the same thing as removing it but its a lot easier. You can also try various disk remover programs once you boot into an external drive.

Hi, Thanks for responding - good idea - i'll give that a try and revert should it not allow the access.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I had disk drive issues a few times in the past where I was unable to boot to recovery, internet recovery, or an external drive. I think the corrupt drive messes with the boot loader or something.

If the above method doesn't work, maybe just removing the old drive and putting in a new drive, install new OS, and then repeatedly try to mount the old drive using some external set up. I had this work for me and I was able to recover my data from the damaged drive 2 different times. It took a few days of trying to mount it many times for it to work for one of the drives.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It would help if you told us WHAT YEAR your MBP is, and whether it is retina or non-retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.