Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iulop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Istat menus shows 478 degrees Celsius processor temperature . I am worried that my processor will melt !

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
What istat version are you using? I had similar issues with istat using versions previous to 3 - bizarre drive bay temp readings (+1000F) as well as poor computer performance over all due to a memory leak in previous builds. Using istat v3 I now have accurate behavior & much better performance on my G5.

I dont know which computer model you have but perhaps one of the sensors has failed? This happened to my HDD temp sensor on my 2006 intel imac - was a super easy fix, but may be something you could check. As far as CPUs, it might be time to refresh the thermal paste on these older machines, so you could check the hdd/ambient/cpu sensors (if it has them), the CPU fan and redo your paste at the same time.

Good luck.

iulop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
What istat version are you using? I had similar issues with istat using versions previous to 3 - bizarre drive bay temp readings (+1000F) as well as poor computer performance over all due to a memory leak in previous builds. Using istat v3 I now have accurate behavior & much better performance on my G5.

I dont know which computer model you have but perhaps one of the sensors has failed? This happened to my HDD temp sensor on my 2006 intel imac - was a super easy fix, but may be something you could check. As far as CPUs, it might be time to refresh the thermal paste on these older machines, so you could check the hdd/ambient/cpu sensors (if it has them), the CPU fan and redo your paste at the same time.

Good luck.
Thanks for your reply it was the software at fault temps were normal .

Reactions: 1042686

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just wanted to point out that the memory leak for iStat 2 is actually in the clock setting. The bug only happens if you add more than one clock.

Since the default on install is for Los Angeles, New York and London the bug automatically exhibits itself. But if you remove the rest and add only your local clock then the bug does not appear.

I tend to run iStat 2 because I prefer my settings to be in the System Preferences and not having to open a separate app.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
If your CPU temperatures are being reported by software to be well over 100°C, it is most likely a faulty reading. Most CPUs cut off by the 100°C mark, since anything above that will mean the die overheats to a point it can suffer permanent failure. As a matter of fact, at 478°C, you would notice a heavy burning metal smell from your Mac, as well as smoke, potentially plastic melting on the case or parts of the case, and a CPU that would literally fall off the logic board as that amount of heat is enough to melt most common types of solder. Given your computer was running in a normal fashion while iStat was running, you can be assured it was a faulty reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.