Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMW sensitive you had bad experience with which iPhone 15?

• Total voters

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Bought and returned 15PM. After one evening of use, I ended up with eye strain, tension headache, the feeling of nausea and briefly strobing vision the next day. 2nd day past and still have the above symptoms….

Back to my iPhone 11. 6th year in a row and still no flagship product for me thanks to Apple's implementation of OLED.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If you are a known PWM sufferer, avoid Apple’s OLED phones. The SE line is there if you’re looking for a new(ish) iPhone with an LCD panel.

Reactions: bolandross

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
If you are a known PWM sufferer, avoid Apple’s OLED phones. The SE line is there if you’re looking for a new(ish) iPhone with an LCD panel.
Tiny screen, tiny phone, dated design and features. It’s really not what we want. But I understand why you mention it.

IMG_7613.jpeg

For me, the 11 is the last of the LCD iPhones - after next year we’re dead in the water as LCD is gone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Tiny screen, tiny phone, dated design and features. It’s really not what we want. But I understand why you mention it.

View attachment 2279233
It’s a numbers game for Apple. OLED is objectively better than LCD and the mainline phones are premium products so they have to embrace OLED technology.

The small number of PWM sufferers have to unfortunately use older phones, the mid-ranged SE line or move to a different brand of device entirely.

I hope the next SE will be in the shape of an iPhone 12 or 12 Mini which would go some way to solving the problem for PWM sufferers who are after a more modern looking iPhone.

Last edited:

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Bought and returned 15PM. After one evening of use, I ended up with eye strain, tension headache, the feeling of nausea and briefly strobing vision the next day. 2nd day past and still have the above symptoms….

Back to my iPhone 11. 6th year in a row and still no flagship product for me thanks to Apple's implementation of OLED.
When did you buy your iPhone 11? Around 2019 -2020?

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
It’s a numbers game for Apple. OLED is objectively better than LCD and the mainline phones are premium products so they have to embrace OLED technology.

The small number of PWM sufferers have to unfortunately use older phones, the mid-ranged SE line or move to a different brand of device entirely.

I hope the next SE will be in the shape of an iPhone 12 or 12 Mini which would go some way to solving the problem for PWM sufferers who are after a more modern looking iPhone.
It’s definitely a numbers game and they don’t want to confuse people or even admit that OLED may cause health issues, but man would I love to buy a 15PM with an LCD screen. It could even be thicker to accommodate the thicker display. It could even be $100 more expensive. I would buy it.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
When did you buy your iPhone 11? Around 2019 -2020?
Dec 2022 as my 7 Plus died overnight and I needed a phone quickly. The SE 2022 didn't cut it so I bagged a rare, brand-new 11 from Amazon when they randomly had a restock for a week.

I’m actually good with the 11, I just want a flagship product for the larger battery, larger high res display and newer features.

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It’s definitely a numbers game and they don’t want to confuse people or even admit that OLED may cause health issues, but man would I love to buy a 15PM with an LCD screen. It could even be thicker to accommodate the thicker display. It could even be $100 more expensive. I would buy it.
My wish would be for Apple to offer a bespoke iPhone service, ie build your own.
Pick your size, display type, camera type or no camera, finish and colour. It would be expensive but I would pay. Apple could certainly afford to have a production line dedicated to a bespoke service even if it had a long lead time.

Last edited:

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Dec 2022 as my 7 Plus died overnight and I needed a phone quickly. The SE 2022 didn't cut it so I bagged a rare, brand-new 11 from Amazon when they randomly had a restock for a week.

I’m actually good with the 11, I just want a flagship product for the larger battery, larger high res display and newer features.
Im in your exactly same
Position

If the new phone 11 is fine mine was made in 2023 so it’s in my mind I guess iPhone 11 should be fine

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
The 11 and SE don't work for everyone- as someone mentioned here, there is something odd with how Apple handles the displays on these- they may not have PWM, but it's either the temporal dithering or the hybrid brightness control with some sorts of "ripples" in the consistency of the brightness that cause eye discomfort for some of us.

I have more trouble with Apple's LCD displays on the 11, SE, and the new iPads I have tested than I do with their OLED phones, oddly.

Some people are saying, though, that this discomfort didn't start until iOS 16.1 released late last year, that these devices were fine before 16.1.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and cgolca

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Returned the iPhone 15PM with severe headaches and back again to my 11...
I opened a poll to evaluate your experiences with the 15 line.

Extensive explanation of PWM and flicker:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PWM_Sensitive/comments/15q405c
Sorry to hear your negative experience with 15 pro max. My experience is so far so good with 15 pro max. No headaches and other negative effects on PWM and flicker on me. I am glad to hear that you still have your existing phone.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Sorry to hear your negative experience with 15 pro max. My experience is so far so good with 15 pro max. No headaches and other negative effects on PWM and flicker on me. I am glad to hear that you still have your existing phone.
Is this your first positive OLED iPhone experience, as in, have you had issue with PWM before?

Reactions: kiddlattimer

melliflu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
There are various levels of PMW sensitivity, not all painful, but we can suppose that what is not good for the few, is not good either for everyone, even if there are no symptoms. A powerful, efficient e-ink phone (not the current Hisense ones) I would buy day one, even with the flaws of e-ink screen tech.

melliflu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
people who dont wanna go into debt also want a iphone
people with OLED sensitiveness want a iphone
people who dont want a stupidly huge phone want a iphone
people who wear glasses want a iphone that doesnt make them set up 16 faces on face ID
people who prefer touch ID want a iphone
Rumors of iPhone SE4 will mark one less option for many people

Reactions: bobthebuilderissus

Keebz75

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2023
Returned the iPhone 15PM with severe headaches and back again to my 11...
I opened a poll to evaluate your experiences with the 15 line.

Extensive explanation of PWM and flicker:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PWM_Sensitive/comments/15q405c
Same here!
I’ve had my 11 for 4 years even after trying 11pm. I recently just tried 15plus for 3 days and returned it. Ordered the 15pm and thought maybe the 120 refresh rate may be my problem. Been using the 15pm since Friday and it’s been hit or miss it seems. Today I noticed the burning eyes and pain in my right eye which I had lasik 8 years ago in that eye only. I’m not sure if I’m returning it or what. Really like the 15pm but not at the expense of headaches, vertigo, burning eyes. My 11 has been great for 4 years.
Apple is starting to piss me off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.