Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
May sound odd, but is it possible that Facebook in Safari is causing some additional battery drain?

The last two days I've been using the laptop a lot. Yesterday I started about 11:00am and went pretty much until 9:00 last night (with periods of closing it here and there). Maybe 8-9 hours of use. Plugged it in at 8% left.

The day before was similar. Started a little later, and went until 10pm or so pm. Probably similar usage time. Plugged it in at 4% left.

This was mostly email, web surfing and some photoshop/bridge work. Using messages a bit. Playing around and setting up BTT. A little Facebook, but only maybe an hour and closed it when I was done (was posting for work).

Today is the first day I've had Facebook open for any length of time at all. I started at 8am. It's now 2pm and I'm down to 26%. I'm also getting the "Safari is using significant energy" thing in the battery dropdown, which I didn't see at all yesterday, and didn't notice the day before.

Just wondering if anyone noticed this or if it's just me. I mean at 26%, I may still get two more hours and that would put me at about 4pm... that would still be 8 hours.

Feel free to call me crazy...
I really don't have much to complain about overall, even battery life, with this new MacBook Pro...

EDIT:
Did a quick search on Google and found this right away... It talks about Chrome, but I'm sure if FB is a hog there, it's a hog everywhere.
https://qz.com/622845/if-your-macs-...ing-do-this-one-thing-to-your-chrome-browser/

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Seems likely, given your experience, and it wouldn't be surprising. You can check in your Activity Monitor under the Energy tab. Click on the triangle to the left of the listing for Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.