Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Anyone else notice this?

No more Live Photo screenshots, and flipping the camera is a super cumbersome process. You have to click a menu button, then carefully slide the pop-up down when you're done. This is not intuitive whatsoever, let alone for less tech savvy people I FaceTime with. Not to mention it's way too easy to hit the big red X (which looks like a back or cancel menu button in those contexts) and just end the whole call.

Honestly those two changes have been extremely frustrating. I went ahead and sent feedback to Apple on their iPhone product page and will join the beta program specifically report this as feedback.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Absolutely awful experience swapping the camera direction after the update. Too many steps and not responsive enough. Definitely a step backwards. How on earth did this get signed off?

Reactions: midkay and 4492865

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Flipping the camera used to take one press now it seems to be three.

And weren’t lists video calls and audio calls separated before on iPad? I used to be able to quickly initiate a FaceTime video call by selecting one of the very few people I contact this way from a short video call list. Now I have one long list in FaceTime on iPad mainly made up of phone calls I have made from iPhone. I think I need a favourites list.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Wow - literally made every change I asked for! Nice!
I was pretty bad. While we don't know what apple was thinking, this must have been part of the master plan. First get group facetime working, then fix up the interface. Don't understand why this couldn't have been done together. As long as it was done, though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Seems like that's being addressed.

I mean general: Apple too often “improves” by revising something to require more clicks or swipes to do what used to work with fewer actions. For a “cleaner” interface so the controls “disappear into the background” so the “content can shine” without distracting the user.

Gag.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone else notice this?

No more Live Photo screenshots, and flipping the camera is a super cumbersome process. You have to click a menu button, then carefully slide the pop-up down when you're done. This is not intuitive whatsoever, let alone for less tech savvy people I FaceTime with. Not to mention it's way too easy to hit the big red X (which looks like a back or cancel menu button in those contexts) and just end the whole call.

Honestly those two changes have been extremely frustrating. I went ahead and sent feedback to Apple on their iPhone product page and will join the beta program specifically report this as feedback.
Looks like with iOS 12.1.1 being publicly out today those things should be addressed: Apple Releases iOS 12.1.1 With Expanded eSIM Support, Redesigned FaceTime With Live Photos, Haptic Touch for Notifications on iPhone XR, and More

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The next thing I would like is a setting to disable where the person talking gets a bigger window. With an active conversation there's too much jumping around on the screen. If you're only talking to 2 or 3 other people why not be able to lock everyone into the same window size?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The next thing I would like is a setting to disable where the person talking gets a bigger window. With an active conversation there's too much jumping around on the screen. If you're only talking to 2 or 3 other people why not be able to lock everyone into the same window size?
Isn't that there to kind of help you know who is talking?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Isn't that there to kind of help you know who is talking?

Yes, and I can see that being useful if it was a call with 10 people. But with a small number of people it's just lots of bouncing around on the screen that isn't helpful. I much prefer Facetime overall to Skype but Skype handles this issue much better. An example with fixed sizes for each person with Skype:

skype-android.jpg

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
You can double tap on any person's tile to make it the focal point in your FaceTime view, enlarging the tile to its biggest possible size. Tap again to go back to the standard tiled view.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You can double tap on any person's tile to make it the focal point in your FaceTime view, enlarging the tile to its biggest possible size. Tap again to go back to the standard tiled view.

The problem with that is that the other people become darkened and are put in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.