Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuppery Numnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Just upgraded to iPhone 14 Pro Max (on the latest iOS 16.0.2). Having intermittent issues with contacts FaceTiming me. For example, my girlfriend will FaceTime me and I only get the notification on my iPad Mini, while another friend can FaceTime me and I’ll get the notification on both devices. Obviously I don’t always have my iPad with me and use FaceTime often. It will ring for my girlfriend then say I’m unavailable. I also don’t get a missed FaceTime notification on my phone. I am not in DND mode or have anything set up to alter my notifications on my iPhone. I restored my iPhone 14 as I do yearly via iCloud. Has anyone else seen this? I also wasn’t able to FaceTime anyone from within the iMessage convo but that seems to be resolved randomly. Maybe it’s just iOS 16 things lol

cliff23242

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
I'm having the exact same issue, please let me know if you figure out how to resolve this...

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I assume you already checked Settings -> FaceTime -> scroll down to 'You can be reached by FaceTime at"?
For me I have 5 entries in there (coming from my contact card), where I unchecked one email address on my phone but have that one checked ON on an iPad I almost never use, allowing me to FaceTime that iPad (although it both uses my Apple ID) :)
I.e. it could well be that some users are using a number/email address you have checked ON on one device but not the other device. Ideally you have all entries checked ON on all your devices

Note: also iMessage has the same setting (one level deeper in a 'Send & Receive' submenu)

Reactions: cliff23242

cliff23242

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Tuppery, did you transfer your sim/esim from your old iphone to the iphone 14? If so, did you activate your line on the iphone 14 afterwards?

Tuppery Numnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Tuppery, did you transfer your sim/esim from your old iphone to the iphone 14? If so, did you activate your line on the iphone 14 afterwards?
Yep! Did both of those. I’m hoping it’s an iOS 16.0.2 thing they still didn’t fix despite claiming so.

cliff23242

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
So a solution for me is to make sure that the contact (that's not able to make FT calls to me) to go into my contact card (on their device) and delete my email address. Afterwards, they by default FT me through my number, which seems to go through.

Last edited:

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
So a solution for me is to make sure that the contact (that's not able to make FT calls to me) to go into my contact card (on their device) and delete my email address. Afterwards, they by default FT me through my number, which seems to go through.
... or on your own device, in Settings -> FaceTime -> put a checkmark next to your email address in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at"-list? Or is that already the case and you're still not receiving a FaceTime call using that email address?

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
an alternative is asking your contact to FaceTime you using your number (instead of deleting your email address): ask your contact to open your contact card, press and hold the FaceTime button to get a popup dialog in which they can select FaceTime. This then expands and shows your number and any email address they have for you. Selecting the number will initiate a FaceTime call to you number, and any future FaceTime calls they do to you will keep using your number (until they repeat these steps and select an email address, for whatever reason).

I sincerely hope this helps! ;-)

cliff23242

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
... or on your own device, in Settings -> FaceTime -> put a checkmark next to your email address in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at"-list? Or is that already the case and you're still not receiving a FaceTime call using that email address?
They both were checked already, that’s the weird part…

Edit: I was troubleshooting this with an Apple service engineer and after a few hours we had to give up trying to solve it, but they're investigating.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBDDVV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.