Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Hello Macrumors!

I have been experiencing some iPhone 12 Pro issues with FaceTime since first receiving the device but it took me a while to diagnose. To be crystal clear this is not the same connectivity issue that others have reported with 5G.

The issue is as follows:
  1. During a FaceTime audio or FaceTime video call, the audio and/or video stutters. These are about 2-3 seconds in length where the video and/or audio will cut out and then return.
  2. The issue happens on both 5G and WiFi. WiFi connection is a stable gigabit connection, and the issue occurs on both 5G and 5G UW.
  3. The simple fixes (restart, update, etc.) have not resolved the issue.
  4. I have tested this extensively with one other person and the following was also found:
    1. When it cuts out on my end, it doesn't appear to cut out on their end.
    2. If the same person FaceTimes me but I pick up on my 2018 12.9'' iPad Pro or on my 2018 Mac mini, the video and audio issues vanish even while on the same network.
  5. The phone was set up as a clean install and has not run a beta profile.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they were able to fix it. I obviously can take the step of attempting a phone replacement through Apple, but would prefer not to have to do that if there's a simpler fix.

Thanks all!

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
I have a problem where the audio from the other caller cuts out for me. both have a stable connection. it sounds like packet loss but the speed tests are fine. during the call the sound just cuts out and it sounds like lag and it drops for like 2-3 seconds but happens intermittently.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I have a problem where the audio from the other caller cuts out for me. both have a stable connection. it sounds like packet loss but the speed tests are fine. during the call the sound just cuts out and it sounds like lag and it drops for like 2-3 seconds but happens intermittently.
That would be exactly the issue I have. I did a "Reset Network Settings" and it resolved it briefly, but it did not hold for me.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
That would be exactly the issue I have. I did a "Reset Network Settings" and it resolved it briefly, but it did not hold for me.
oh wow, I thought it was the other caller's fault or something but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't remember if I ever had this issue on my iPhone 11 Pro. I'm gonna try using my iPad with the same caller to see if I get the same cut outs. I also tried 5G and WiFi on the 12 Pro and both had cut outs, that's why I didn't think it was fault on my end. Ping is under 10 ms. Jitter is under 6 ms. 0% packet loss. Double/triple digit download upload speeds on both ends.

ruboncio

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2021
Don't bother.. It is something software related. I bought an iPhone 12 back in September when it was released.. I thought it was faulty at first so I ended up returning and getting a new one. Second iPhone 12 does exactly the same.
I signed up for beta iOS and same, disabled noise suppression, hard reset, tried the phone out of the box with no backup loaded and it was still happening. It's either a glitch compatibility issue between hardware and software, a hardware defect or a software issue (I'm inclined to say this last one). It only affects the front microphone when using the front camera (Facetime, Whatsapp call or similar). I sent an email to Apple and I haven't received a response yet. Apple is ignoring users.. might be my last iPhone. Time for a change I suppose.

Ef11546

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Hello Macrumors!

I have been experiencing some iPhone 12 Pro issues with FaceTime since first receiving the device but it took me a while to diagnose. To be crystal clear this is not the same connectivity issue that others have reported with 5G.

The issue is as follows:
  1. During a FaceTime audio or FaceTime video call, the audio and/or video stutters. These are about 2-3 seconds in length where the video and/or audio will cut out and then return.
  2. The issue happens on both 5G and WiFi. WiFi connection is a stable gigabit connection, and the issue occurs on both 5G and 5G UW.
  3. The simple fixes (restart, update, etc.) have not resolved the issue.
  4. I have tested this extensively with one other person and the following was also found:
    1. When it cuts out on my end, it doesn't appear to cut out on their end.
    2. If the same person FaceTimes me but I pick up on my 2018 12.9'' iPad Pro or on my 2018 Mac mini, the video and audio issues vanish even while on the same network.
  5. The phone was set up as a clean install and has not run a beta profile.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they were able to fix it. I obviously can take the step of attempting a phone replacement through Apple, but would prefer not to have to do that if there's a simpler fix.

Thanks all!
Having same exact issue. Apple needs to fix this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.