Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
So this has me completely baffled, and I haven’t managed to search up anything.

The configuration: I’m in the US with a ~50Mbit/10Mbit internet connection talking to my wife in Japan via FaceTime. I’m using either an iMac, MBP, or iPhone 6 on my end. There, she has a ~1Mbit/1Mbit internet connection, and is using either her iPhone 5s (latest iOS 9) or her mom’s iPad mini 2 (also latest iOS 9).

Video calls work great--smooth, the video is quite crisp even with the relatively slow connection on her end, and almost never any glitches. Been using this setup for a couple of years without problem.

On her most recent trip, however, for the last few weeks if she switches from the front camera to the rear one on her iPhone, the video will draw one or two frames, then stall on a “poor connection” error. Audio continues, and when she eventually switches back, it immediately kicks in and works perfectly.

Doing the same thing with the iPad works as expected--smooth feed.

What the heck is going on here?

The camera isn’t broken--she can take photos just fine, and it draws a frame or two. If it were because the rear camera is 1080p and the front one is only 720p that might make sense, except it should just drop to a slower speed to match the connection speed, and the iPad has a 1080p rear camera too, yet it works fine. And I have no problem using the rear camera on my iPhone.

Software versions are the same across the board.

Suggestions? Anybody else seen this? It’s both annoying and really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.