Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VincentRossi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
How do I factory restore jailbroken iPhone 6 with IOS 8.1.2. (Cydia Impactor does not work)

V

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Connect iPhone to computer and open iTunes.

Backup to iTunes - assuming your phone is functional and you can do a backup.

Power phone off (leave connected to computer with iTunes running).

Put phone in DFU Mode (Google how).

When iTunes detects iPhone in recovery mode, Restore and Upgrade.

When iTunes is done and your phone is restored, restore from your iTunes backup to get your data back.

You will be losing your jailbreak and will be restored to 9.3.5. If that's not what you want then I can't help because I've never used Cydia Impactor.

VincentRossi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Connect iPhone to computer and open iTunes.

Backup to iTunes - assuming your phone is functional and you can do a backup.

Power phone off (leave connected to computer with iTunes running).

Put phone in DFU Mode (Google how).

When iTunes detects iPhone in recovery mode, Restore and Upgrade.

When iTunes is done and your phone is restored, restore from your iTunes backup to get your data back.

You will be losing your jailbreak and will be restored to 9.3.5. If that's not what you want then I can't help because I've never used Cydia Impactor.
[doublepost=1473204477][/doublepost]I do not want to update the iOS. I want to maintain the iOS 8.1.2 I have.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
[doublepost=1473204477][/doublepost]I do not want to update the iOS. I want to maintain the iOS 8.1.2 I have.
Then, wherever your situation is you're stuck unless you can get Impactor to work.

You can only restore to a version of iOS that Apple is signing.

Semi Restore might help, I don't know. Never used that either.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Cydia Eraser is all you need, get it from Cydia, backup phone, turn on wifi, run Cydia eraser, let it do its thing, phone restarts you are back to fresh install as you would of got it from day one! This will remove your jailbreak and factory restore but you can re-jailbreak.
I did it on my 9.3.3 i6S and 6 ios 8.4!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cydia Eraser is all you need, get it from Cydia, backup phone, turn on wifi, run Cydia eraser, let it do its thing, phone restarts you are back to fresh install as you would of got it from day one! This will remove your jailbreak and factory restore but you can re-jailbreak.
I did it on my 9.3.3 i6S and 6 ios 8.4!
Cyda Eraser is the new name for Cydia Impactor.

OP reports that Impactor (Eraser) does not work.

I can see your suggestion if OP is using an older version of Impactor, but presumably OP used the latest version and just confused the name.

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
Cydia eraser don't always work. I lost a jailbreak on my Air 2 because Eraser mess it up with an error and delete both cydia and Eraser app. Maybe there was a method to correct this but I didn't want to spare my whole night for this so I just restored completely via iTunes.

I think after research that "controller for all" tweak have something to do with cydia eraser errors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.