Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios2052

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2020
Hey guys,
I went to wake my m1 macbook air from sleep yesterday and could see the backlight on, but nothing on the screen. I figured maybe it was some strange sleep issue so I fully powered it off and let it sit for a few seconds. When powering it back on, I heard the mac chime and again the backlight would illuminate/glow but no image. I connected an external monitor and get video on that fine, but not the laptop display.

Apple had me run through a few steps such as doing full power cycles etc but quickly concluded I needed to bring it in for service. The internal display is detected in mac os and the backlight intensity even responds to the brightness up down keys, just no image whatsoever.

Strange as I've not seen anyone with this issue on the forums (mostly issues with external monitors). Anyone run into anything like this? Makes me nervous since this laptop was purchased in Jan this year and only has maybe 20-30 hours of gentle use.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hey guys,
I went to wake my m1 macbook air from sleep yesterday and could see the backlight on, but nothing on the screen. I figured maybe it was some strange sleep issue so I fully powered it off and let it sit for a few seconds. When powering it back on, I heard the mac chime and again the backlight would illuminate/glow but no image. I connected an external monitor and get video on that fine, but not the laptop display.

Apple had me run through a few steps such as doing full power cycles etc but quickly concluded I needed to bring it in for service. The internal display is detected in mac os and the backlight intensity even responds to the brightness up down keys, just no image whatsoever.

Strange as I've not seen anyone with this issue on the forums (mostly issues with external monitors). Anyone run into anything like this? Makes me nervous since this laptop was purchased in Jan this year and only has maybe 20-30 hours of gentle use.
Not every failure mode is common. Sounds like you got very unlucky and won the anti-lottery with a relatively unique failure. It sucks but it happens. When you manufacture something in the millions of units, failures are inevitable which is why they come with a warranty.

helios2052

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2020
Not every failure mode is common. Sounds like you got very unlucky and won the anti-lottery with a relatively unique failure. It sucks but it happens. When you manufacture something in the millions of units, failures are inevitable which is why they come with a warranty.
I totally agree and I have no doubt Apple will take care of it. I was more just curious if anyone had experienced that kind of issue in the M1 before (or more wishfully if there is some fix/troubleshooting specific to the M1 I could try before driving all the way to the apple store tomorrow).

The rep seemed somewhat new or at least unfamiliar with the M1s so figured checking here couldn't hurt.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I totally agree and I have no doubt Apple will take care of it. I was more just curious if anyone had experienced that kind of issue in the M1 before (or more wishfully if there is some fix/troubleshooting specific to the M1 I could try before driving all the way to the apple store tomorrow).

The rep seemed somewhat new or at least unfamiliar with the M1s so figured checking here couldn't hurt.
The only advice would be to try and reinstall macOS from another Mac if you have one handy. Directions here: Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.