Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceexy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Hey. I've been recently looking towards buying a new iPhone 8 Plus 256GB. I've heard somewhere that iPhone 8 doesn't have the credits on it's back (Made in China, Designed in California, etc...) The store I looked it up on, is the most popular Norwegian store based on Electronics like; PC, Phones, etc... The phone's price is original (9 290 NOK - $1134 USD) I was wondering, are all iPhone 8's with/out credits? I ever doubt it's fake, since this is a very trusted store in a long time. I am just making sure. Here is the link to the iPhone: https://www.komplett.no/product/954164/mobil/mobiltelefon/apple-iphone-8-plus-256gb-gull#

Another short thing is that I recently saw a video on YouTube
where TechSmartt holds his original iPhone (this is a video where he compares the original and fake iPhone) where credits are non existent. He also shortly mentioned that if your iPhone has any credits on the back, it means it's fake. What should I say to that? Take that up on a discussion, and feel free to share facts (only) about this topic.

Cheers!

Reactions: Closingracer

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If this was some weird Alibaba listing I'd be a lot more skeptical, but what are the chances that a large, established retailer is trying to sell a fake iPhone? And the price you quote seems pretty normal too.

jenag145

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2017
Hey. I've been recently looking towards buying a new iPhone 8 Plus 256GB. I've heard somewhere that iPhone 8 doesn't have the credits on it's back (Made in China, Designed in California, etc...) The store I looked it up on, is the most popular Norwegian store based on Electronics like; PC, Phones, etc... The phone's price is original (9 290 NOK - $1134 USD) I was wondering, are all iPhone 8's with/out credits? I ever doubt it's fake, since this is a very trusted store in a long time. I am just making sure. Here is the link to the iPhone: https://www.komplett.no/product/954164/mobil/mobiltelefon/apple-iphone-8-plus-256gb-gull#

Another short thing is that I recently saw a video on YouTube
where TechSmartt holds his original iPhone (this is a video where he compares the original and fake iPhone) where credits are non existent. He also shortly mentioned that if your iPhone has any credits on the back, it means it's fake. What should I say to that? Take that up on a discussion, and feel free to share facts (only) about this topic.

Cheers!

My iPhone has the info on the back .

Aceexy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Seem to recall that non-US phones have the regulatory information on the back. Some folks were commenting on the board about that when 8s were released.

Here's a reddit thread about EU devices having the text vs. US phones just logo and "iPhone".

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/71snf9/iphone_8_still_has_designed_by_and_labels_why_is/
Oh, this made it so much easier. So I guess there is nothing to be afraid of. As long as I am buying it at an established retailer, it's OK.

Cheers!
[doublepost=1530228115][/doublepost]
Depends on the country.
Cheers!
If this was some weird Alibaba listing I'd be a lot more skeptical, but what are the chances that a large, established retailer is trying to sell a fake iPhone? And the price you quote seems pretty normal too.
Yea, that is what I figured out too. But anyway, I shouldn't really be worried, since all PC parts I get there are original as well. I mean, what is the point of selling fake iPhones, people would probably figure it out a long time ago.

Cheers!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The X has a logo on back.

And? So do fake iPhones. Even replica iPhones are almost indistinguishable from real iPhones , its usually the font that’s off or Apple logo is to large, missing the FCC description, ect.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I doubt that with putting all the effort in copying an iPhone the people just forget to put some characters on the back...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I doubt that with putting all the effort in copying an iPhone the people just forget to put some characters on the back...

No, they don’t ‘forget’. They Simply do _Not_ put FCC identifiers on the back on a iPhone, because it illegal to brand a phone without FCC identifiers official branding information, which if you’re caught, you’re subject to federal laws and indictment. Some Scammers do put FCC information, but its usually falsely generated.

AlSo, the other reason why FCC information might be missing from a phone, is consumers are not trained enough to look for this type of information or are simply ignorant, having no idea what FCC information even means in understanding it.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/frauds-scams-and-alerts-guides#block-menu-block-4

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
No, they don’t ‘forget’. They Simply do _Not_ put FCC identifiers on the back on a iPhone, because it illegal to brand a phone without FCC identifiers official branding information, which if you’re caught, you’re subject to federal laws and indictment. Some Scammers do put FCC information, but its usually falsely generated.

AlSo, the other reason why FCC information might be missing from a phone, is consumers are not trained enough to look for this type of information or are simply ignorant, having no idea what FCC information even means in understanding it.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/frauds-scams-and-alerts-guides#block-menu-block-4
But to sell it they need the FCC approval in the first place. If they sell it just without the number makes no difference in being illegal.
apart from copyright/patent infringement with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.