Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure some of you may have read this:

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1760

It seems as if Olivo Barbieri's aerial photographs are completey made from minature models. Its incredible!

Here are some of my efforts:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Bear in mind these were very rushed :) but its a cool effect

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
AGoglanian said:
that looks just like the "fake model effect" ( unless thats what youre talking about? )

which none-the-less is still freakin cool

http://recedinghairline.co.uk/tutorials/fakemodel/

edit: i took the time to open the site after opening my big mouth lol. we're tlakin about the same thing :)

nice job!

Heh, thanks. I hadn't seen that tutorial until now (and just saw it on another forum) I used a similar method but just using the marquee tool... Its fun to play with

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Applespider said:
Nice effect!

I have some similar pictures from those locations (Coit's Tower, Stratosphere and Sears Tower?) which I might try something similar on.

The images are from:

1, 4, 5, 7 - Colt Tower - San Francisco
2, 3, 6 - Plane - Las Vegas

You should try it...

Applespider

macrumors G4
tonyeck said:
The images are from:

1, 4, 5, 7 - Colt Tower - San Francisco
2, 3, 6 - Plane - Las Vegas

You should try it...

I will do! I think the SF ones look best - perhaps because there's something to really focus on to draw the eye. The others since the blurred area is similar means that there's more chance of someone just assuming an odd smudge on the lens.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Applespider said:
I will do! I think the SF ones look best - perhaps because there's something to really focus on to draw the eye. The others since the blurred area is similar means that there's more chance of someone just assuming an odd smudge on the lens.

Yeah I know, it was more like, "quick find any arial photos I have and play"

You know how it is :p

Applespider

macrumors G4
tektonnic said:
YAY! took me ages to built it...:D

Very nice... from the top of the Basilica?

Here's an attempt that I had - tho was harder than I expected to take a picture that would work. I've got lots of shots but rarely from above - or not with enough detail to zoom in properly!

Attachments

• cablecarblur.jpg
    cablecarblur.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 116

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Still looks good from that angle though... Arial photography really does fool your eye into believing its a model

Applespider

macrumors G4
tektonnic said:
Yeh, from the Basilica, here is the original - not that different to my lens blurred one!

Gosh... it looks surprisingly quiet. I went when I was in Rome last month and it was always packed - the queue when right around the circle of colonnades! So busy that we decided not to bother waiting to climb the Basilica after waiting to get into the darned thing and the Vatican museum. Perhaps next time, after seeing that view, I might!

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Applespider said:
Gosh... it looks surprisingly quiet. I went when I was in Rome last month and it was always packed - the queue when right around the circle of colonnades! So busy that we decided not to bother waiting to climb the Basilica after waiting to get into the darned thing and the Vatican museum. Perhaps next time, after seeing that view, I might!

I was there last August, it was hot and packed - just not obvious from that pic! As John Paul II had recently died the queues to enter the Vatican 'crypt' to see his tomb were massive also...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.