Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumr46556

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Two days ago I woke up and found out my credit card was charged at 0600 in the morning on my iPhone notification centre. So I used some tools like "reportaproblem.apple.com" to check any purchase(s) and my subscriptions on my iPhone to find out what happen. I had checked a while and got no idea why my credit card was charged. So I called Apple hotline to find out. The Apple CS asked me to check my family member bought IAP whether or not and told me that they cannot check for me because it was IAP if any. I should "ASK" my family member although my credit card was charged and I had no right to check IAP thru hotline if any. I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAD NO RIGHTS TO CHECK THAT KIND OF IAP if any. WTH!!! OMG!!! o_O

After one day of my investigation on every family member under my family sharing (I am the family organizer), I found out that one of my family members had charged her personal iCloud plan 200GB because of she joining my family sharing plan before her next personal subscribed iCloud plan to pay. Is it the new feature of "Family Sharing"? What happen!! I had subscribed 2TB iCloud plan before with family sharing "ON".

IMO, if individual family member likes to join the family sharing plan, he/she should entitle to use all things under family sharing including iCloud plan, we have no need to choose anymore instead of not joining family sharing plan if he/she likes to use family “Personal" iCloud plan instead of using "Family" iCloud plan.

I remembered that there was no option[switch] to choose either "Personal" or "Family" iCloud plan under "Manage iCloud Storage" on iPhone under iOS 11 or 12. Why WE HAVE to CHOOSE right now?

I didn't asked Apple CS to refund that kind of payment (this payment is neither my family member nor mine fault though) which was already charged my credit card. I just reported my investigation/find-outs to Apple hotline with my case and asked them why. IS IT A BUG or NEW FEATURE? They said that this feature is "ON" since iOS 14.

This so-called new feature since iOS 14 should be meaningful to somebody, that's why Apple iOS developers are added. But in my point of view, it is meaningless. Just like I said above that if individual joins family sharing plan, he/she does not use personal iCloud plan, they want use family iCloud plan instead.

WHY THEY HAVE TO CHOOSE?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Anything they buy, including iCloud storage, is billed to the iCloud Family owners payment method if purchase sharing is turned on as a feature.

That‘s always been the case. If your family member has a 200GB plan running it will continue to exist for them until they cancel it (they use your 2TB + their 200GB combined then). Tell your family member to unsubscribe from their 200GB tier to stop the charges (or kick said user out of your family or turn off purchase sharing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.