Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hi all

Really odd one happened this morning.

I have an apple one subscription, and share with 2 family members.

Today, out of the blue, all of one member's storage no longer seems to be showing as used in on 2tb storage. It was fine... but now when you look at the individual concerned they are showing as 'not using'.

Now, when you go to their phone, they are also showing as not using.. however the main storage graph on their phone shows their storage AND the other family members as you'd expect....
Also, when they try to 'change storage plan' it comes up with (as expected) 'you are already using family storage'.

Obviously this is a bit concerning as my family member has 400gb of very important files and photos etc which seem a little precarious right now..... anyone seen this before?

Already tried rebooting the phone etc...

Tempted to put a call into apple but thought id check here first to see.

fin1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Did you try to remove the family member and re-invite him/her?

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Did you try to remove the family member and re-invite him/her?
no, but a little concerned if I do what will happen to their data on out shared icloud storage....

... will they get a pop up telling them they have been removed and inviting them to buy their own storage.... in which case what happens to all their data in the meantime?

fin1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Data they own will remain on their device(s). They will temporarily lose access to any shared data until you re-add them. I had to do this with one of my kids and it resolved the same issue you are having.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Data they own will remain on their device(s). They will temporarily lose access to any shared data until you re-add them. I had to do this with one of my kids and it resolved the same issue you are having.

The trouble is, this person is using about 400Gb of data.

His phone has a capacity of 128Gb.....

Where would the photos etc go when hes removed?

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
The trouble is, this person is using about 400Gb of data.

His phone has a capacity of 128Gb.....

Indeed, that is a problem And I have no suggestion at this point.

I think I may be experiencing a similar problem. My Mom reported to me last night she received a message that she has almost exceeded her 5GB limit. I have an Apple One subscription and she is one of the family members. So, she should have access to all 2TB of shared storage.

Oddly and maybe related, this morning, my wife reported that she cannot view some, not all, of her news feeds that are News+. For instance, yesterday I shared a link to a news item published by The Telegraph and this morning she tried to read it and she hit a paywall for the same item.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Indeed, that is a problem And I have no suggestion at this point.

I think I may be experiencing a similar problem. My Mom reported to me last night she received a message that she has almost exceeded her 5GB limit. I have an Apple One subscription and she is one of the family members. So, she should have access to all 2TB of shared storage.

Oddly and maybe related, this morning, my wife reported that she cannot view some, not all, of her news feeds that are News+. For instance, yesterday I shared a link to a news item published by The Telegraph and this morning she tried to read it and she hit a paywall for the same item.
sounds like somethings wrong server side here with the family sharing.......

.... ill either call apple if i have a spare few hours... of just ride it out as my family member still seems to be perfectly OK in that his storage exists somehow and hes using it.....

assuming 16.4 solves the issue perhaps.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
I am having the same issue with my daughter. (Three times this has happened already.)
We had a shared storage plan that worked fine but then I got Apple One.
We are a family of four. 3 have been fine. Only my one daughter keeps losing the ability to use shared storage. It tells her that she is out of storage in her 5GIG plan and that she needs to upgrade.

Sadly she can see all of the other shared family features like TV and Music and Game etc. ONLY storage is affected.

I have worked three cases with Apple about this and they told me the only fix is removing her and re-adding her then having her press the Use Shared Family Storage button.

Another side effect is that once I do that we lose the ability to see each other in find my. We have to manually add each other.

I am working a case right now with an apple senior advisor who is collecting logs and doing screen recordings with my daughter at 1PM today. Then she is taking that info and sending it up to Engineering for review. One more note, we all have separate ICloud and App Store logins. We do not use one shared login across the board. The advisor is thinking that might be the issue but then why does it work for 3 of us???

Fred

Last edited:

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
In my situation, it turns out there are some phishing emails going around telling people they are out of space and need to upgrade. My Mom received one of these and that prompted her to call and ask me about the iCloud storage. When I found out about the email I realized there was not actually a problem with her iCloud storage.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I am having the same issue with my daughter. (Three times this has happened already.)
We had a shared storage plan that worked fine but then I got Apple One.
We are a family of four. 3 have been fine. Only my one daughter keeps losing the ability to use shared storage. It tells her that she is out of storage in her 5GIG plan and that she needs to upgrade.

Sadly she can see all of the other shared family features like TV and Music and Game etc. ONLY storage is affected.

I have worked three cases with Apple about this and they told me the only fix is removing her and re-adding her then having her press the Use Shared Family Storage button.

Another side effect is that once I do that we lose the ability to see each other in find my. We have to manually add each other.

I am working a case right now with an apple senior advisor who is collecting logs and doing screen recordings with my daughter at 1PM today. Then she is taking that info and sending it up to Engineering for review. One more note, we all have separate ICloud and App Store logins. We do not use one shared login across the board. The advisor is thinking that might be the issue but then why does it work for 3 of us???

Fred
interesting....

but in my case, as the family organiser in the 'bar chart' I cannot see the used space - but further down the settings page it correctly states the full amount used as a figure.

Every other setting looks fine...

and, my family member doesnt seem to have lost anything thats on iCloud (thankfully).

Im holding out hope that 16.4 fixes. If not then ill create a ticket with Apple.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
interesting....

but in my case, as the family organiser in the 'bar chart' I cannot see the used space - but further down the settings page it correctly states the full amount used as a figure.

Every other setting looks fine...

and, my family member doesnt seem to have lost anything thats on iCloud (thankfully).

Im holding out hope that 16.4 fixes. If not then ill create a ticket with Apple.
I already have a case in with them. All looks right bit if I go to iCloud+ I see my daughter missing from the list. It makes no sense. Captures and logs have been submitted. I am just waiting for Apple to get back to me.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Update: Nothing coming from Apple. My rep says "they are still reviewing details" but no further updates from the engineers. It's been weeks since my daughter's phone and ipad have backed up. I am thinking I may have to do the workaround of kicking her out and inviting her back in to make this work again. The issue is that I've done this like 3 times already and eventually she gets kicked out of the storage plan and gets told to upgrade because she is out of space. I don't know why. As I get more updates I'll post here.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Update: Nothing coming from Apple. My rep says "they are still reviewing details" but no further updates from the engineers. It's been weeks since my daughter's phone and ipad have backed up. I am thinking I may have to do the workaround of kicking her out and inviting her back in to make this work again. The issue is that I've done this like 3 times already and eventually she gets kicked out of the storage plan and gets told to upgrade because she is out of space. I don't know why. As I get more updates I'll post here.
Thanks for the update.

Im hoping that 16.4 next week foxes things but theres a lot of other bugs on other devices that have been broken since 16.2 and despite several updates since they dont seem to be getting trough these bugs with much efficiency!

Reactions: MajesticNJ

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Forgot to come back and post an update. Not sure what the developers did but after pushing and escalating they DID fix my daughter's account issue and she is back in the family. So far things have been stable but from experience this doesn't last too long so for now I remain cautiously optimistic. The case remains open with Apple for now.

Note: I did NOT have to kick her out and put her back in to fix it this time. Whatever Apple did, she was placed back in by them. If the issue re-appears I will be sure to return here and provide an update.

Fred

Reactions: steve123

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Resurrecting this as I have a similar issue. I am the organizer of our Family Share & there are 6 total members. We've been like this for a couple of years. Tonight, I noticed on my husband's phone that it says he's out of storage. I check & it says that my mother, one of our group, is sharing 200gb of storage. I cannot figure out how to override that & have the 2tb that comes with Apple One shared again. I've even removed her from the family share & she no longer appears but her storage does. When I go into the Family settings to try to share mine, it says that she has purchased the 200gb & I can join hers. How do I override that? I'd tell her to stop sharing hers but she's 80 & 3 hours from me & I'd prefer to do it another way, if possible. I also don't understand why hers is still showing up when I removed her from our share.

Update: My mother figured out how to stop sharing & then we all defaulted back to mine. I'm still trying to see if there's another way to change or override who shares

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.