Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Hello everyone
I have an Imac 5k-27' 2020 and for some time now, the fan has been turning on unexpectedly.

I downloaded the Macs Fan Control app which tells me 0 turns.

I don't have any demanding applications open and I have 32 GB of RAM installed.

I already try to reboot, disconnected, resetting the PRAM,...
Do you have an idea to solve this problem?

Kind regards

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think you have a problem with a temp sensor, and the system defaults to a high-speed fan to, perhaps, protect the hardware. Definitely will be audible.
You could check to see what the built-in diagnostics reports (if anything)

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I thought it was normal for the fans be always running when it’s on. I know my iMac M3 it runs super slow speed when it’s not working hard. It does stop when sleeping, but always running when it’s not sleeping. Isn’t that a good thing?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the fan defaults to a protective mode, that would often be much higher speed, and not at an idle--that slow speed mentioned in the above post, but at a higher, probably very audible, speed.

nathansz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2017
It sounds like you might have a bad or disconnected sensor

In your cou running at half speed?

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Yes, the imac runs on 14.5 SONOMA but I already had the problem before the update on Sonoma

Thank you for yours advices 🙏🏻🙏🏻

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Hello guys
I thought I just found...

It's seems the problem come from my old mac keyboard (usb). I just disconnected it and use the blutooth keyboard I received when I bought the Imac and the fan directly stop. I wait and see but it the fan problem just come back after half. hour

Thanks a lot for all your advices.

PS. Screenshot of the fan activity (macs fan service) indicate à when the fan just blows a lot... :(

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-07-18 à 10.34.57.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-07-18 à 10.34.57.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Hello guys
I thought I just found...

It's seems the problem come from my old mac keyboard (usb). I just disconnected it and use the blutooth keyboard I received when I bought the Imac and the fan directly stop. I wait and see but it the fan problem just come back after half. hour

Thanks a lot for all your advices.

PS. Screenshot of the fan activity (macs fan service) indicate à when the fan just blows a lot... :(
When the fan doesn(t blows, the app indicate normally something around 1200 RPM.

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Hello everyone,
What do you know about the error code PPF003 & PPF004?

When I did a reboot+D, I just had a warning with the error code PPF003 & 004. It's seems it could be the problem to my fan blowing but can't find any solution excepted maybe change the fan?
Thank you for your advices

nathansz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2017
Hello everyone,
What do you know about the error code PPF003 & PPF004?

When I did a reboot+D, I just had a warning with the error code PPF003 & 004. It's seems it could be the problem to my fan blowing but can't find any solution excepted maybe change the fan?

Like I already said

You have a bad sensor (or connector) or two

So not only are your fans constantly blowing but your cpu is running at only half speed to protect itself

StarKiller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Do you know about the PPF003 & PPF004. When I did a reboot+D, I just had a warning with the error code PPF003 & 004. It's seems it could be the problem to my fan blowing but can't find any solution excepted maybe change the fan?

Like I already said

You have a bad sensor (or connector) or two

So not only are your fans constantly blowing but your cpu is running at only half speed to protect itself
Sorry Nathansz, I didn't read well your message. So, I guess I will find to buy a new fan and try to change it by myself? :)
thank you

Justin L Franks

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Sorry Nathansz, I didn't read well your message. So, I guess I will find to buy a new fan and try to change it by myself? :)
thank you

Replacing the fan isn't that bad.

iFixit has a good guide and has the tools you will need to open up your iMac as well as the new adhesive strips for the display that you will need to install during reassembly. The opening tool (looks like a tiny pizza cutter) is great, since it won't let you go past the adhesive strips and break something.

Just take things slow, and heed any warnings listed in the guide.

They don't sell replacement fans though.

And the guide to correctly apply the new adhesive strips:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.